Suggestions for Coal Stove Burning Pea in Place of Fireplace

ewstuart
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130

Post by ewstuart » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 11:27 am

Hi all, I have recently converted to heating my home with pea coal in a AHS-S130 boiler and so far so good. I can heat everything I need to and have a generator for times of power outages like we experienced here last week. I also have a fireplace that has gone unused for years. It's clay lined and tall enough for a good draft but I haven't had the desire to deal with burning wood and would like to supplement with either a coal fireplace insert or a small coal stove that I can put on the hearth. I would like to just use the same stores of pea coal that I already have for my stoker and I'm wondering what options would fit the bill. I don't need high BTU output. If it's an insert I guess it would be best to have a fan, otherwise a free standing unit which exhausts out the back (with or without a fan) as my opening is only 26.5"H X 36.5"W X 20"D.
I was not looking to spend too much but I also want a nice looking unit as this will go in my living room. I'll keep an eye for sales here and Craigslist but typically I haven't seen much listed for coal units in my area. Any suggestions?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 11:40 am

Hitzer 503 insert. check the forum good pics and commentary.
Hopper fed but uses a fan because it is buried in the firebox.
If you have space out front the 50-93 or 30-95.
http://www.hitzer.com/heaters.html

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 1:07 pm

I'll second CapeCoaler. The Hitzer 503 is the way to go if you want a fireplace insert. The Alaska Kast Console stoker is (I think) the only available stoker insert out there, but it sticks WAY out in front of the fireplace (it pretty much just uses the fireplace for venting).

The 503 will fit in your fireplace as far as height and width go, but the depth is 26-3/4", and you wrote that you only have 20" of depth, so it might not work or might require some alterations.

Good luck!

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Overall depth is 26" firebox is 19.5"
It will fit.

Model 503: Width Depth Height
Unit 30" 26 3/4" 24"
Firebox 15" 19 1/2" -
Weight: 600 lbs

http://www.hitzer.com/model503.html

If you are handy or know someone who is and there is no dealer close by then order direct and get the best price!

ewstuart
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130

Post by ewstuart » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 1:43 pm

I think the 503 will fit. The 20" depth I mentioned is from the rear brick of the fireplace to the face brick where fireplace is even with the inside finished wall. I have another 20.5" of hearth from there which is raised 8" off the floor. Not sure why it was constructed with this size hearth. I would have to add non-combustible material in front of this if I went with a stove.

I can see the benefit of an insert taking up that space but I kind of prefer the look of a free standing stove. I just don't know how it would look in front of the empty fireplace opening. Wondering what other folks think about the pros and cons of either?

Would Hitzer allow me to order direct? I have two dealers in my state but both are about 2 hours drive from me.

wfd.lt

Post by wfd.lt » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 3:34 pm

I have an older Surdiac 713 which wouldn't take a lot to refurbish and the price certainly would be right. It ran great on pea. I'm just north of Worcester, if that's not too far. If you are interested, send me a personal message.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Parts are available:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merchant5/merchant. ... de=SUR-713

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Yes Hitzer will allow you to order direct, over 1 hour away you ar golden.
Hitzer install photos Hitzer 503 Installation Photos
Your depth is fine for the 503.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 11:35 pm

You can do what I did and take the legs off a Harman Mk I and jam it into the fireplace.

topper

Post by topper » Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 5:59 am

I have a Hitzer 503. As you probably know it is a top loaded - gravity fed stove. The top lid/door you have to lift off the stove is 1.5 inches thick. I suspect what you mean by 26.5 inches high is the fireplace opening itself. The 503 is about 24 high. So, to make the lifting off the lid easy (and to load the stove) the stove would have to be out on the hearth in front of the fireplace a fair distance. I estimate about 10 - 12 inches. Not a problem based upon your overall depth - but a consideration.

The stovepipe comes off the top and at the rear of the stove. While you will have plenty of room above the stovepipe to the "connection" with your fireplace chimney you will have to do so with a 2.5 inch difference between the height of the stove (24 inches now in place) and the 26.5 inch height of your fireplace opening.

I installed the 503 myself. I had a 32 inch fireplace opening so "dropping" my stovepipe to fireplace chimney connection onto the stove wasn't an issue. Maybe your 2.5 inches to work with becomes an issue - I suppose another consideration...

I am very pleased with my 503. Good luck with your decision.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 12:57 pm

ewstuart wrote:Hi all, I have recently converted to heating my home with pea coal in a AHS-S130 boiler and so far so good. I can heat everything I need to and have a generator for times of power outages like we experienced here last week. I also have a fireplace that has gone unused for years. It's clay lined and tall enough for a good draft but I haven't had the desire to deal with burning wood and would like to supplement with either a coal fireplace insert or a small coal stove that I can put on the hearth. I would like to just use the same stores of pea coal that I already have for my stoker and I'm wondering what options would fit the bill. I don't need high BTU output. If it's an insert I guess it would be best to have a fan, otherwise a free standing unit which exhausts out the back (with or without a fan) as my opening is only 26.5"H X 36.5"W X 20"D.
I was not looking to spend too much but I also want a nice looking unit as this will go in my living room. I'll keep an eye for sales here and Craigslist but typically I haven't seen much listed for coal units in my area. Any suggestions?
Here are a few more companies that make inserts aswell as free standing stoves

http://www.bakerstoves.com/baker-stove-models.html

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

JIMTORL

Post by JIMTORL » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 11:35 am

I have the 503 and been using Pea coal with great success. Once in a while you get a piece stuck in the grate if you don't use short shakes :o . My wife likes the look of Pea burning better than Nut. She say's it has a more cozy looking flame :D . You won't go wrong with the Hitzer 503.
Jim

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 01, 2016 5:25 pm

nickgordon wrote:As your budget isn't enough that I will suggest you to go for Gel Fireplace or Tabletop fireplace.
Ventless is always a health hazard and the fuel is very expensive.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Aug. 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Indeed it is. Bad suggestion. :shock:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”