New Ash Door Gasket

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 11:25 am

I bought a new gasket kit for my ash door. I was curious if I can do it while it is hot? The package says the glue needs to sit for 10-15 min, then push the rope in.
I am not sure if my stove will overfire and if the glue will burn? Anyone ever done it while the stove is running?
THANKS

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 11:33 am

Hi MidnightMadman,

I haven't had to change any door gaskets yet as my Harman boiler is new this year, but I can tell if you got a fire up to temp. 10 minutes is enough time to have an overfire. I learned that the hard way. Probably best wait for a warmer day and shut her down. I would like to how you make out changing those gaskets as i'll probably have to do that myself at sometime.

Good luck
JB

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 11:45 am

If you have a way to cover the ash door area with sheet metal or foil over cardboard with some air holes it should be possible.
My MarkII ash door area does not get too hot so it worked for me.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 11:54 am

CapeCoaler wrote:If you have a way to cover the ash door area with sheet metal or foil over cardboard with some air holes it should be possible.
My MarkII ash door area does not get too hot so it worked for me.
Great idea Cape!! :up:

I'd just cut a piece of wood to cover the ash door opening...Cover the inside of it with foil & drill a few air holes. Should give you plenty of time to pull the hinge pins & the ash door & put in the new gasket & even let it cure a bit!

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 12:01 pm

You guys are always coming up with good ideas. way to go!

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 12:03 pm

JB Sparks wrote:You guys are always coming up with good ideas. way to go!
Isnt it strange, the simpliest things that we overlook. Thats why these forums are so great! I actually have a plate that fits over my ash door for when I shakedown.

Awesome!

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Looks like you'll be home free. let us know how the change out went.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Ok. Everything went well.
The only thing is, my stove temp is climbing fast with the new gasket and I have the vents pretty much closed!

The seal fits good and the door closed nice and tight... what is going on?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 3:56 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Ok. Everything went well.
The only thing is, my stove temp is climbing fast with the new gasket and I have the vents pretty much closed!

What's the temp outdoors there, & the wind? (freezing cold in Mass today & the colder it is the stronger the draft, which will suck heat out of your stove like crazy. You should install a barometric damper. They're pretty cheap.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Devil505 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:Ok. Everything went well.

What's the temp outdoors there, & the wind? (freezing cold in Mass today & the colder it is the stronger the draft, which will suck heat out of your stove like crazy. You should install a barometric damper. They're pretty cheap.
Yeah its very breezy and its COLD 19

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 4:06 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Yeah its very breezy and its COLD 19
Close the air control as needed.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Ok. I have it pretty good. staying about 500. I cant imagine how hot this thing would get on a day like today if the vents were wide open!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 4:19 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Ok. I have it pretty good. staying about 500. I cant imagine how hot this thing would get on a day like today if the vents were wide open!
http://underbid.com/action/display/item/15052-106 ... F1214.html

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Test the ash door seal with a dollar bill. If it holds onto the bill you have a good seal if you can pull it out easily the gasket is not keeping air out.
You should be able to slow the fire down to 350* by cutting the air control back some more, it will take some time to register at the thermometer but you should see the ladies get smaller.
If you can not cut the air back any more to reduce the temps and the ash door gasket is tight, you need to check for an air leak.
Your local plumbing house also has the proper damper. http://fieldcontrols.com/draftcontrol.php RCBT if you want a black version.

Attachments

IMG_0348c.JPG
.JPG | 24.8KB | IMG_0348c.JPG

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 8:22 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Test the ash door seal with a dollar bill. If it holds onto the bill you have a good seal if you can pull it out easily the gasket is not keeping air out.
You should be able to slow the fire down to 350* by cutting the air control back some more, it will take some time to register at the thermometer but you should see the ladies get smaller.
If you can not cut the air back any more to reduce the temps and the ash door gasket is tight, you need to check for an air leak.
Your local plumbing house also has the proper damper. http://fieldcontrols.com/draftcontrol.php RCBT if you want a black version.
Around the top and bottom I cant pull the bill though. But on the side with the handle I can. But I am snugging the handle down as tight as possible.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”