Still Having Issues

coalloser

Post by coalloser » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 8:50 am

where is the best place to put the magnetic thermometer on the pipe? Above or below the baro damper?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 9:17 am

Below, that way you can see how healthy the fire is when you ramp it up by the length of time it takes to increase the stack temps. When the rate of climb falls off, you know you have to address something.

Millworker

Post by Millworker » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 8:54 pm

You probably already knew this, but when you adjust the ashpan vents make sure you tighen the knob after adjustment. This will tighten the slider on the inside up against the ash pan door. Without tightening the knob too much air is still allowed to get in and you will notice shorter burns.

coalloser

Post by coalloser » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 9:25 am

She is burning well....really well. Started a nice wood fire this morning and established a nice bed of hot embers. Threw on the 1st layer of coal, let it catch and then loaded her up to the top of the fire bricks. Pipe temp has stayed consistent at 250 degrees and stove is holding steady at 450 with ash pan vents 1/4 open. When I started the house temp was 65, now after three hours its 71. I cut two vents into my return line duct...I tested the temp coming out of the vents on the 1st floor and 2nd floor....the fan is pushing 90 degree air. Moving the baro tee and putting the baffle in the stove made a huge difference. I see almost no flames going up the pipe anymore. I am going to leave it alone now to see what happens since it will be unattended when I am at work.

Thanks guys for all of your help. Happy New Year

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 5:12 pm

:partyhat: :up: :cheers: :rockon:
Knew you would get it!
Happy New Year

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 7:35 pm

Coalloser, now your going to have to change your name! :D

Bk

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 7:53 pm

coalloser wrote:She is burning well....really well. Started a nice wood fire this morning and established a nice bed of hot embers. Threw on the 1st layer of coal, let it catch and then loaded her up to the top of the fire bricks. Pipe temp has stayed consistent at 250 degrees and stove is holding steady at 450 with ash pan vents 1/4 open. When I started the house temp was 65, now after three hours its 71. I cut two vents into my return line duct...I tested the temp coming out of the vents on the 1st floor and 2nd floor....the fan is pushing 90 degree air. Moving the baro tee and putting the baffle in the stove made a huge difference. I see almost no flames going up the pipe anymore. I am going to leave it alone now to see what happens since it will be unattended when I am at work.

Thanks guys for all of your help. Happy New Year

We were all waiting for you to fire up the stove again. Looks like you've started off quite well. My stack temp is at 150*. You said your stack temp is 250*. 250* isn't too high, but is a little on the high side for a settled in burn. In my opinion, I'd like to see the stack temp down around 200*. I'd say somewhere between 150* - 200* would be just about right. Now to tweek it some more. I'd start with the following; 1.) See if you can fine tune the barometer to bring stack temps down. Wait about 1/2 hour. 2.) Check stack temp. If still a little high, close ash pan vents a little more. Wait a half hour. Read stack temp. 3.) If stack temp drops, but so does comfort level, you may have to open ash pan vent back to 1/4 open. 3.) A few more things you can do to lower stack temps; a.) put manual damper below barometer(last resort), b.) try the next size smaller coal, c.) be happy with where your stack temp is. NOTE: when doing this fine tuning, do it when the fire has settled in for the long burn,and not just before or after tending. I'm not familiar with your stove. Others may have additional tips. Keep us informed. We like to hear positive results. PS: I see coaledsweat recommended putting thermostat below barodamper. If that's where you put it, you may be just fine with the settings you have. For the heck of it, Try putting the thermometer above the barodamper. Then, see what the stack temp is on both sides of the baro.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”