Having Trouble Keeping Temp Down

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey guys. For a while I was able to close down my vent slots to about 1/4 and the temp would drop to 300-350 but today I cant seem to keep the temp under 450. I have the vents closed 1/4 and tried doing 1/8 and it still is staying at least 400....
any ideas?

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 8:34 pm

whats your baro set at?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 8:37 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Hey guys. For a while I was able to close down my vent slots to about 1/4 and the temp would drop to 300-350 but today I cant seem to keep the temp under 450. I have the vents closed 1/4 and tried doing 1/8 and it still is staying at least 400....
any ideas?
You will have higher temps when the weather gets colder the chimney is pulling more draft out of the stove Check your
baro 450 Is Not High For these stoves .I Run mine 650 to 700F after the heat reclaimer and before the baro .A top Flue Stove will burn hotter then a rear flue stove .

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 8:38 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:I have the vents closed 1/4 and tried doing 1/8 and it still is staying at least 400....
any ideas?
How's you ash door seal?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Devil505 wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:I have the vents closed 1/4 and tried doing 1/8 and it still is staying at least 400....
any ideas?
How's you ash door seal?
Im not sure.. how do I check it. Its rope. Can I pull it out and re-seat it?

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Is it windy where you are? Can't remember if you have a baro damper.? It will help keep stove temperature consistent when the weather changes.

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I have a Gibraltar CFS . Its a snowstorm and 11 degrees outside and this stove has been running at 575 all day. It doesn't seem like its working hard to maintain these temps for long periods of time. It seems to like to run at about 450 for forever. I have owned a Harman Mark II and a Plymouth Chubby handfired units and while these were good stoves they can't stack up against the Gibraltar. I would like to know the story about what happened to company that made Gibralatars.

Gary L
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #1

Post by Gary L » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Check your seals with a dollar bill when the stove is cold. It should not pull out when the handle is secured.

I too am in my glory tonight. It is 21 degrees and a blizzard outside and the stove is blowing me out of the living room. Seems like the colder it is and with a good wind the air mix in the stove a flu are perfect.

No Baro and no way to add one but no complaints 99% of the time. TOO HOT is why they make windows! :D

Gary

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 2:55 am

Salemcoal wrote:I have a Gibraltar CFS . Its a snowstorm and 11 degrees outside and this stove has been running at 575 all day. It doesn't seem like its working hard to maintain these temps for long periods of time. It seems to like to run at about 450 for forever. I have owned a Harman Mark II and a Plymouth Chubby handfired units and while these were good stoves they can't stack up against the Gibraltar. I would like to know the story about what happened to company that made Gibralatars.
Salem Gibraltor Industries was a big company Made alot of different Products like most big companies they got to big
and had to sell and break up all the different business they had. Sounds Like Harman in a way. I was hoping the New company would start up the stove Plant again . Maybe it will Happend Who knows.I agree they are the best build easies to use hand fed stove out of all of the companies. And they put out the heat Love the long burn times you get with them . Here Is Some info I found on the company.

http://sec.edgar-online.com/gibraltar-industries- ... tion2.aspx

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 8:56 am

It was very windy.. actually near blizzard conditions yesterday and in the 20s I think its fine. The week before it was warmer with really no wind. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to run.
I don't have a barometric damper on it.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 2:53 am

A barometric damper is a must with a coal stove.. What you just experienced is what a baro is meant to prevent: excess draft causing too much air being pulled through the fire, resulting in uncontrolled heat from the fire..

Imagine if this had happened at night, and burnt up all your coal, so you wake up to a cold house. Or you adjusted the combustion air way down to compensate for the wind and cold, then while you were asleep, the wind dropped, your draft dropped and the fire was starving for air,, again you wake up to a cold house.

Install a baro damper ! It is like installing a 'speed control' on your car.. the setting of the air requires less guesswork and crystal ball reading..

Greg L

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Fri. Dec. 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Coalberner, Thanks for the info on this company. I had a Christmas Eve party with mostly family but a few friends and when some of the woodburners saw the stove in action they are now wanting to switch to coal.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Salemcoal wrote:...when some of the woodburners saw the stove in action they are now wanting to switch to coal.
That is how I got started, and now a friend of mine is panning to switch to coal next heating season.
:secret:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”