Hitzer Fa 82 Installation Advice/Pics Needed

COE6

Post by COE6 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 11:29 am

New to forum as well as burning coal, I have found a lot of great advice here. I was wondering if anyone has any pics of a Hitzer Fa 82 furnace installation I am currently installing one and could use any ideas/advice. I would like info on connecting this to my existing duct work, in the literatue I have it shows a return but not sure where it connects on stove. I also have a question regarding the fire box, on the right side it has two fire brick that are sloped just below the damper not sure if this is by design or not. Thanks

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 12:20 pm

The two slanted firebrick are an air out. Air comes in the back left on mine if facing the stove (the metal piece where there is no firebrick is an air in. As for installation, I just built a sheet metal box around mine, and put a duct on the top with a duct fan in it to blow it into a register. We will need a bunch more information to help, like what kind of existing system do you have , can you tap into that for distribution, is it in the basement, etc. Doesnt the f.a. come with mounts and brackets to use hitzers furnace box and a fan for distribution?

COE6

Post by COE6 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 12:47 pm

The unit is in the basement , I have a hot air furnace which the stove is going to be installed just under the main duct. I've been told I need a back flow flapper vavle in the duct work, I'm just not sure about how to hook up a return or if I really even need one. I also plan on setting this unit on cinder blocks, the ceiling in house is 11 ft. high. The house was moved and they messed up the foundation elevation, it is an awesome basement. This unit I'm told can be hooked up to supply hot water , but the literature I have does not give any details pertaining to that. any info would be appreciated, thanks.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Are you hooking to hot air duct or cold air return and use your furance blower to move the air??

Also, Do a search on "Hot Water Coils" on here, many have a lot of different hook ups.
Any stove can be hooked up to provide hot water, you just need some piping, and various other components.

http://www.hilkoil.com/

http://www.therma-coil.com/

Fire375
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Fire375 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 10:19 pm

You are going to need to type of cold air return. If you are not planning on hooking the blower box directly to your furnace cold air return, you may be able to leave the doorway to your basement open. This will allow cold air (which stays close to the floor) to travel down the stairway and return to the 82. Works well in my house, but every house and furnace system is different.

COE6

Post by COE6 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 12:32 am

I have read the replies and thank you for your input. I have this unit installed right under the main furnace duct down stream from furnace,with the exception of the duct work from the Hitzer 82 tie into the main trunk of the gas furnace It fired up very easliy and took about 100lbs. of coal to fill to top of fire brick. This unit throws sum serious heat , this is in a 2800 sq. ft. home it is about 24 degrees outside and got the house warm in no time. I am not sure how much coal it will need to burn to keep house warm. If anyone out there has the Hitzer fa 82 how much coal are you burning? Still not quite sure on how the air return would connect into unit. The blower box is supposed to be able to accomodate an air filter, the only way that I can see how to put one in would be I would have to cut open the side of blower box ,not sure. The directions I have from Hitzer are not all that clear. Thanks.

Fire375
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Fire375 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 10:35 am

To install the filter, simply remove one of the sides of the blower box. You need a 5/16 nutdriver to remove the bottom screw. The solid side lifts out and you replace it with a 20x20 filter and put the lid back on.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”