18" From Sheetrock Wall, but the Wall Is VERY Hot.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 9:30 pm

My stove is the recommend distance of 18" from sheetrock wall, but the wall is VERY hot. I had the stove about 700 getting it going earlier and that wall just seems too hot.
Should I be worried?

kootch88
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kootch88 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Midnight,

Sheetrock is partially noncombustible but from an insurance perspective it is NOT considered a non-combustible surface because it has a paper surface. Check your specs again for proper clearances. I think you may be considering the sheetrock a non-combustible surface. Again, it is NOT! It has a paper surface. We require, as does the NFPA, 36 inches from a combustible surface, which icludes sheetrock unless the manufacturer is rated by someone like UL and the specs say otherwise.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 9:53 pm

PROBABLY!!! :o Check and make sure the clearance recommendation you used is not the listing for floor coverage, instead of wall clearance. :idea: I"d check into this further!!! :!: Hot walls are nothing to ignore!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:05 pm

If the stove is bare metal it should be 36". Some stoves are double wall, or "inside their own box". Most of those are 18", but those specs are usually in the owners manual. Put it this way, all stoves require 36" unless the owners manual says different.

You may need to build metal shields. Get sheet aluminum, use 1" pieces of 1/2" copper pipe as spacers. Put screws through the aluminum, through the spacer, into a stud. Leave a one inch space on the bottom.

kootch88

Post by kootch88 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:12 pm

You may need to build metal shields. Get sheet aluminum, use 1" pieces of 1/2" copper pipe as spacers. Put screws through the aluminum, through the spacer, into a stud. Leave a one inch space on the bottom.
Orrington, Maine
Fred
I had a policyholder that used the electric fence ceramic insulators as the spacers between the wall and the sheetmetal. They looked good and did a terrific job holding the sheet metal from the wall one inch. The reason for the 1 inch space Midnight is so hot air will convect upwards. If you notice in properly built wall protection behind stoves there will be a vent to allow the hot air to escape at the top if it isn't against a chimney.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:21 pm

It has a metal plate behind the stove that sits off of it about 1" I have it at 19" and the stove would be 18. I just looked on the back and it says 18" min. clearance to wall.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:28 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:My stove is the recommend distance of 18" from sheetrock wall, but the wall is VERY hot. I had the stove about 700 getting it going earlier and that wall just seems too hot.
Should I be worried?
Mid Does your SCR have the heat shield on the back with the heat shield on the back the clearance is 18" for the back of stove and 19" from Flue Pipe. Sides of stove is 20" Flue Pipe is 30" If not the stove should be 36" away from anything that can catch fire does you sheet rock have paper on it. Paper starts to burn at 319F. If you see it start to turn brown it is getting to hot. If you use Millboard Or Equivalent 8" Clearance for back & sides Front of stove should be 16" Look at
the 8th post on the link below. You can download The Gibraltar Manual if you do not have one. Look in section E for Clearances.

Gibraltar Stove

kootch88

Post by kootch88 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:30 pm

That means 18" from a NON COMBUSTIBLE surface. Is the sheetrock beyond the protection what is hot or the sheetrock behind the protective barrier hot?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:31 pm

kootch88 wrote:That means 18" from a NON COMBUSTIBLE surface. Is the sheetrock beyond the protection what is hot or the sheetrock behind the protective barrier hot?
Say that again?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:39 pm

coal berner wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:My stove is the recommend distance of 18" from sheetrock wall, but the wall is VERY hot. I had the stove about 700 getting it going earlier and that wall just seems too hot.
Should I be worried?
Mid Does your SCR have the heat shield on the back with the heat shield on the back the clearance is 18" for the back of stove and 19" from Flue Pipe. Sides of stove is 20" Flue Pipe is 30" If not the stove should be 36" away from anything that can catch fire does you sheet rock have paper on it. Paper starts to burn at 319F. If you see it start to turn brown it is getting to hot. If you use Millboard Or Equivalent 8" Clearance for back & sides Front of stove should be 16" Look at
the 8th post on the link below. You can download The Gibraltar Manual if you do not have one. Look in section E for Clearances.

Gibraltar Stove
Yes it has a shield that is off the stove 1". Heres a picture.
StoveRear 001.jpg
.JPG | 1.2MB | StoveRear 001.jpg
StoveRear 003.jpg
.JPG | 1.2MB | StoveRear 003.jpg

kootch88

Post by kootch88 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:42 pm

I am pretty sure you need to be 18" from a surface that won't burn, like your protective barrier. 36" from a non-protected surface like Sheetrock. Someone mentioned the paper surface turning brown when heated to 319. I am just telling you the clearance per NFPA and what insurance companies adhere to when manufacturer specs are not available. Many manufacturers default to NFPA guidelines anyway.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:47 pm

From reading the manual for your stove it looks like 18" is correct. Is your wall behind the stove too hot to hold your hand on?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Im at 475 degrees and I can lay my arm on the wall. It is hot but not enough that I cant do that. When the stove was up to 700 I don't think I could have held my arm on the wall.. but I could put my hand on it.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 11:07 pm

MM,

Install the heat shiels as Freddy has suggested.

Better safe than sorry. Not much expense for some extra piece of mind and safety. Why push the issue ???? What happens if you do have to push the stove or if someone does it by mistake by leaving the ash door open ????

Rick

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 11:09 pm

How big is the room with this stove in it?
Does the room get quite hot, like above 80 degrees?

If the stove is in a small room, alcove etc. that doesn't let the hot air circulate (away) from the stove will result in everything being hotter than it should be.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”