Run of Mine Anthracite?

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 9:58 am

I won 1500 lbs. of coal on E-bay last week for $90.17 Thats 120.00 a ton :D 8-) ;) :P Went to pick it up yesterday It looks like some of it had a lot of fines in it. When I got it home it appears that they swept all sizes of their coal into the nut pile. :? does anyone know if it will burn or will it just smother the fire? It has LOTS of rice and buck in it.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:05 am

The pile of Harmony nut I'm burning right now has a lot of fines in it, I have moved it with the loader from where I first had it when I emptied the trailer. It burns fine but requires a little more poking up through the grates with a wire after shaking.

You could always screen it to remove the small pieces, then call me, I can run them in the stoker. :D

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:13 am

Every load of coal that I have ever got had some fines in it, but this stuff is over the top, It looks like run of mine bit coal. :? Hey wood'n coal if you have a screen I have the coal in my pickup. :cheers:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 10:46 am

Hi DM, You will probably want to screen the coal, the fines and rice/buck size coal will clog up the air passageways between the Pea/Nut size pieces. You probably will have to learn a new technique to burn the coal as is..

I used 1/2" 'hardware cloth'. the square screen used for good chicken coop doors and for some plaster jobs.. most lumber yards and good hardware stores have 1/4" and 1/2" . Make a 2x4 square frame and staple the 'hardware cloth' to the frame,, then sift away !! I would say you need to get all the fines, most of the rice and at least some of the buck out of the mix to make it easily burnable in your Harman Mark III.

Take care,, Stay warm

Greg L

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 8:49 am

The run of mine? coal that I got seems to burn quite well as is. :) Do you think I have too much draft? The coal comes from the Shamoken area and is white ash. But I won't mix it with the superior that is already in my coal bin. So I will leave it in the back of my pickup until its gone. toothy

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 10:33 am

I screen all my 'suburban shallow mined' coal with 1/2" hardware cloth and get a few shovels worth of sub 1/2" every 400 lbs.
The draft on my MarkII gets choked down by the fines if I do not screen them, about 16' of Metalbestos with a barometric damper.
The 503 Hitzer will suck small babies up the chimney if they get too close! It has a 24' insulated 6" flex inside a masonry chimney with no barometric will burn it just fine.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”