Regular Enamel on Edges?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Wed. Dec. 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Will regular paint (not high heat) on the edges of the stove burn off? I have a line of trim that is gold but needs to be redone.

UpStateMike

Post by UpStateMike » Wed. Dec. 10, 2008 1:51 pm

regular paint and high heat is a bad idea. Most paints are able to withstand about 300F for a short time before begining to break down. I know the enamel doesn't get that hot often but I would suggest to see if you can get a clear resin from the people that make the stove paints and add some Bronze Powder directly into it. Bronze powder is pretty easy to obtain, as are other metal powders, and was known as "antique gold" in the paint industry.

Now, you might be able to use something like this:
http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/duplicolor_high ... ramic.html

or

Stove Bright has similar products:
https://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-8123

These are in aerosol, but a trick I've done before is to spray the paint into a cup, and then use a brush for hand application.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Wed. Dec. 10, 2008 2:35 pm

What will happen to regular enamel on the edges? will it crack or burn?

UpStateMike

Post by UpStateMike » Thu. Dec. 11, 2008 11:13 am

You have to realize that the term "enamel" paint is something that gets misused. Kind of like "latex" housepaint doesn't have any real rubber latex in it. The original enamel on metal parts is done through a high heat kiln process like blowing glass. At least that's how I was taught back in college studio arts class making little enameled bits of jewelry on sheet copper.

If the enamel paint doesn't state it's intended for high temperatures don't use it. If it gets hot enough it is going to begin to smoke and release harmful pollutants into the room.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”