Kodiak Stoves

bigchunk

Post by bigchunk » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 9:52 pm

could anyone or everyone who has a kodiak post a pic if they havent done so yet? I love those stoves. I love my Harman don't get me wrong but I do like them kodiaks.

Paperboy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak; Atlanta Homesteader

Post by Paperboy » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 9:42 am

Here's a couple pics of mine. One was taken after installation November 1, before the first firing. the other was taken a few days ago. Check the other post "Alaska Kodiak gravity fed hopper ... " . I put some pics of the internal hopper on there.

Mike

Attachments

dscf0132.jpg
.JPG | 1.1MB | dscf0132.jpg
dscf0142.jpg
.JPG | 1.1MB | dscf0142.jpg

bigchunk

Post by bigchunk » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 2:54 pm

very nice!! hey does that hopper come out so you can shovel it in through the front door or can you just shake it down and dump the nut coal from the top without opening the door. nice big viewing glass gotta let the whole glass show all the fire inside. how many bags a day does that take? my stove a bag in morning and a bad at night. sometimes just a little more than that. also would you concider the heat shield that goes around the stove. again great stove. I was gonna buy one thats why im curious. its the first coal stove I found that fit my criteria while searching the web in the begining of my gigantic coal enlightening facade period.

Paperboy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak; Atlanta Homesteader

Post by Paperboy » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 7:31 pm

The hopper has a flat flange on the upper end, and is bolted to the stove top. It's not made to be easily taken out and put back. You would have to have the stove shut down.
I seldom open the front door. After shaking, I poke the coal bed a bit through the top loader door, then just dump the coal in the top. Much easier, and if I pour it in somewhat carefully, it's not messy at all.
Once in a while, I do open the front door to wipe off the inside of the glass; probably twice a week. I've been using about 1-1/2 skuttles a day. I have bulk coal, so don't know what that is by weight. I anticipate burning more with the wind and low outdoor temperature that we're getting tonight here in upstate N.Y.
Since my stove is in front of a flat wall, and not in a corner, I really didn't need the optional heat shield for clearance purposes.

Mike

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”