Getting More Heat Output

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 7:46 am

Hello.

In the past when the temps where in the 30's, I was able to heat the entire house with ½ draft and the basement would be in the 78 – 80 degree range and upstairs would be in the 72-75 range. The stove’s temperature on the pipe would be between 275-300. Last night when I pulled in, the temperature gauge stated 17 degrees and my basement was only 74 degrees and the upstairs was at 70 degrees. My wife complained that it was too cool, so I opted to put the draft at full and see what happened. I woke up this morning and was shocked to see 69 degrees upstairs and 76 downstairs. Hmm, when I shaked the ashes last night, I did have a nice red glow and my temp on the stovepipe is at 300. I also have the fan going on low speed since J.C. seemed to think that blower is too big for the unit. In the past if I would put on ½ or ¾ it would cool the room down too much.

Any suggestions/comments on what I can be doing wrong or what I can do to “produce” more heat out the LCC.

Thanks.

Dan

dtzackus

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 8:05 am

update :

After I typed the message, I opted to shake the ashes again, this time I shooked until I saw bright red from between the grates. I also shoveled out all the ashes that were on the sides of the ash bin. Hopefully this will help a little as well. But still any recommenedation or suggestions would be helpful. Still a newbie here.

Dan

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 8:32 am

Colder weather will force you to crank your stove a bit more which changes the whole way you tend it. (more frequent adding of coal, shorter time to shake down & reload due to increased fire temp & burning though allot more coal!)
Only experience with your stove & chimney will work. Shaking down is more of an "Art" than a "Science".......You want to shake down enough to get rid of the ash & settle the coal bed, but not so much that you compact the coal bed down so tightly that you cut off the air to the fire....Takes practice & it depends on how hot your stove is running.

See if any tips from this thread help: Shaking a Hand Fired Stove ?

dtzackus

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 8:49 am

This morning when I opened the ash door, I let the temp get to about 400 and then I shook the ashes and then reloaded with some good ole UAE nut coal and then closed the doors and then waited till the temp got up to about 400 again, then I shut the ash door. It has been at least 1/2 hour and I am still at 400. The temp upstairs hasn't moved, but down stairs I am at 78 and you can feel the difference.

I think I am going to install two heat registers on my days off next week. I think I am going to put on directly over the stove and one on the opposite side of the stove, to help with circulation. I will take a ride up to Lowe's and Home Depo and see what they carry. Maybe I will even make a trip to Centre St. Hardware and Hadesty's.

Dan

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 8:57 am

When the temps drop into the teens and lower I usually tend the fire 3 times a day instead of 2. If you want/need more heat you need more fuel....it's just that simple. As far as getting your heat to another floor the additional registers will help. I get heat to my 2nd floor through a wide open staircase so it's not a problem.
This morning it was 12* out here @ 6am. I cranked up the stove to get more heat output and so far I'm maintaining 68-70....quite comfy when it's 12 outside.

dtzackus

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks. Right now I am just opening the door from the upstairs and downstairs. I knew I would have to add registers when I got the unit, but figured I would wait just in case. The why fix it if it isn't broken theory.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 9:27 am

bear creek burnout wrote:When the temps drop into the teens and lower I usually tend the fire 3 times a day instead of 2. If you want/need more heat you need more fuel....it's just that simple.
Absolutely right! What I have found is that if there;'s someone home during the day, just spreading a few hand shovels of coal across the top of the fire a few time a day will do wonders! Less shaking down necessary (I do it once a day) able to run at higher stove tempts all day & never having to "SAVE" an almost dead fire!
All it takes is opening the load door & tossing in a few shovels of coal. No need to even touch the fire!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”