Newbie Issues

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Just my sense of humor about a Monticello club. What will you ask for the stove?

Gary L
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #1

Post by Gary L » Sat. Dec. 06, 2008 10:43 pm

That was my sense of humor back at ya with the half dozen members! :)

I won't know what to ask until I buy all the bricks, paint & gaskets and then see just how much time I have in it to get it up to speed.

I would love to just keep it but that would require a complete new tripple wall stack right thru the middle of the house from the basement and all sorts of other expenses I can't go with right now.

I believe these stoves were designed for use in wide open areas such as large auto or bus garages and that they are simply too large for an average home unless you set it up to duct the blower air away from the room the stove is in. I'm pretty sure this thing would have a wild BTU rateing if the tag was there and coal is the fuel. Considering that my tiny Russo that is less then half this size can heat me right out of the living room on even the very coldest nights I think this guy would be rediculous in my house unless I set it up in the basement and piped the blower to the back rooms. There is just so much you can do with coal when you try to throttle it down and I suspect that is half your problem in keeping your fire burning.

I don't know how big your cottage is but I would bet this little Crane Coal Cooker I have next in line would be a much better choice for your situation. Coalvet could probably add some insight here since he has been burning one for many years. I love my little Russo but you couldn't pry that away from me with a big crow bar.

Gary

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Gary, thanks for the Crane endorsement. Just wanted to let you know I have the original owners manual for the Crane, if your interested I could scan it and possibly email it to you. Also I have the color brochure for all the Russo stoves from 1988. Let me know.

Rich

Gary L

Post by Gary L » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks Coalvet, I would love to have any info you have on the Crane as I plan to be working on that one in the next few weeks.

I never have figured out exactly which model Russo I have. It does have the tag and I am sure the info is on it but the install has the stove too close to the fire place stone wall to allow reading it. I think a #2 is what it is and I have posted a pic of it in another thread here about Russo stoves. It is just a hair larger then the coal cooker but very similar in design.

I will send a PM with my contact info.

Thanks

Gary

Gary L

Post by Gary L » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 11:34 pm

All done and ready! :D :D :D

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**

Gary

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”