First Coal Fire

rampage84

Post by rampage84 » Sun. Nov. 30, 2008 9:49 pm

We have an old Glenwood parlor stove in our living room. We use to burn wood in it years ago. I got a half ton of nut coal to try out. Got a fire going this rainy, snowy, upstate NY afternoon and the coal is working out great. In fact it's to hot. Can't wait for some real winter weather, lol.
Last edited by rampage84 on Mon. Dec. 01, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sun. Nov. 30, 2008 11:46 pm

I just got back from Owego, NY. Nothing like New York State cold! I'm going back this week to help my neice with some home improvements. I love it up there. I've just recently had my first coal fire, it is totally awesome. I still have to tweak my set up, but this is teaching me how my stove acts burning coal. I can't wait until it's 15 degrees out! I just poked the fire and this matrix of ash collapsed down. I'm seeing how the fire behaves. I'm so used to wood fires in this stove! I couldn't believe the fire was idling fine when I got up this morning- was rarely able to keep a wood fire going overnight. I think I could safely say it would be possible to keep this same fire going indefinitely!
My coal is not uniform in size, but mostly stove, chestnut and pea.
I like the smell of burning anthracite, I'm hearing this really neat crackling when I toss more coal in there, blue ladies, different hues of yellow to red glow-- seeing a lump glowing, the sedimentary lines and striations in the burning coal--- I love it. Releasing 300 million year old sunlight as heat...

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Dec. 01, 2008 3:29 pm

That's the good thing about coal.Long,hot even burns.Not like a wood fire up and down.Good luck and welcome aboard rampage.
DON

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Mon. Dec. 01, 2008 4:31 pm

As the cold weather approaches you will really appreciate the benefits of burning coal. Keep warm and keep the coal fire burning!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”