Home Comfort...More Ways Than One!

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 9:18 am

It was cold this past weekend here in Pa.,so it was high time to fire up the old [1928 model] Home Comfort brand kitchen range.It takes nut coal or wood.First,a nice glowing fire followed by a stock pot full of chicken to make a nice broth.By moving the stock pot all over the top surface of the range any degree of simmer or full boil can be easily found. While that was simmering away in the oven went the bread. No knobs to adjust temperature on this 'ol oven,cast iron dampers do the whole job. You must be careful to maintain a steady oven temperature while baking. Another way it provides Comfort is that it has a waterback in the firebox that makes domestic hot water via a standing tank.Almost forgot to say you get a little house heat from it also!! Now I am not gonna begin to tell you that you can do this job and paint a room ,pet the dog,run an errand, and blow kisses to the wife at the same time.No way! No,you are locked on the range and in the quiet appreciation mode most of the day. When the chicken stock turned into Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie for sunday dinner you realize something more than how to conduct a fire!!. :roll: . Regards, Mike

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 9:34 am

Do you have any pictures of your stove? I'm trying to convince the wife that we NEED one. So far she's not biting. I'll keep working her though. :)

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Reminds me of when my grandma would cook breakfast on the cookstove and being 41 I think I'm a bit young for these memories but I'm sure glad I have them. You just got a taste of the best of days gone by.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Reminds me of my Grandma too. She used to bake bread, pie, and cakes in the cookstove all the time. The stuff that came outta there was absolutley fabulous. I really miss her.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 1:01 pm

I showed a photo of an old cookstove to my Grandmother about 20 years ago, she was about 90 at the time.. she had NOTHING nice to say a :mad: :mad: bout feeding a stove's fire, cooking all day long, carrying wood/coal..

The practical aspects of having a gas or electric stove far out-weighed the 'nostalgia factor' ! :D :shock: :lol:

Sort of like trying to drive around in a Model T... top speed 35-45 mph,, brakes on the drive shaft,, lousy cotton cord tires.. crank start, no heat [usually] etc..

A lot to like about 'modern'.. But I DO think old cook stoves look neat... I just don't want the work needed to actually cook on one..

Greg L

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 1:57 pm

My grandparents had a Model T well into the '60's. They then got a '64 Chrysler Newport and had that through the '80s.
Yes, I do remember tending the cook stove when actually cooking with it was a lot of work. They did replace it with a Baker woodstove in the '80's. My brother still has the cook stove although it is not hooked up. Maybe I should get it...........No, I don't think so. I'll keep my Harman :)

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 2:37 pm

You're right Greg, my grandma had a regular range in the kitchen and would use the cookstove during winter.

What do you think my wife would say if I said "okay, were taking out the range and the micro oven and putting the cookstove in? :shock: :bop:

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 2:46 pm

I can tell you what my wife said but this is a family oriented website. :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Awe come on Bill, I haven't had to delete a post for several days :shock: :D :D

I really like the looks of the old stove/ranges.. but I'm into instant gratification.. at least when it comes to heating a bowl of soup or making a pot of chili... I don't want to have to do all that work.... wait a minute.. that's the answer..

Announcing the new 'Cook-Stove-Diet" if you install a wood or coal burning cookstove as your sole source of cooking heat.. it will take an hour and considerable labor to get your stove/oven ready to make a snack... so snacking will be reduced or eliminated... no cheating with 'prepared' foods.. weight loss guaranteed if you bake your own bread and create your own meals from 'scratch'.

:lol: :lol:

Greg L

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Bill~ You asked about a pic of the Home Comfort. Sad to say I am photo challanged and have to wait till one of my sons comes over to show me yet again how to get a pic on the screen. Don't feel bad with the sales job,my wife won't touch the Home Comfort. My wife considers it simply another one of my quirky amusenents along with antique engines and machinery.The problem with these kitchen ranges is that one needs at least taciturn agreement before action is taken and a deal is made. It is not like you could quietly move it in and tuck it out of sight.Talk about an elephant in the room!! They are a wonderful way to step back in time for a day ... but if someone had to use it for everyday it might wear thin. I wouldn't trade it. Regards, Mike

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 5:05 pm

I know they aren't practical, I just love the looks of them. I would really like to put one in our kitchen as more of a display than as a means for making meals but that would mean another chimney, and a kitchen remodel. I guess I'll stick to looking at pictures.

Greg, I almost had your diet beat. The wife suggested where I could stick dinner if I put one of those in for her to use daily. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”