Hitzer Ez-Flo - Sulfur on Hopper Lid

treysgt

Post by treysgt » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 8:38 pm

I've had a fire going steadily in my Hitzer 30-95 for a few weeks now. Burning fine, but I am getting a buildup of yellow/brown crust on the hopper lid (bottom side of course). It puts off a nasty sulfor odor when I open the door to reload. Just wondering if this is normal, and do you just wire-brush it once in a while?
I have been burning Superior nut in it.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Does your 30-95 have a barometric damper installed? Are you opening the ashpan door before you open the hopper lid? to rev-up the fire and increase draft? It may just be trapped exhaust gasses, or too low draft.. How tall is your chimney, and have you ever used a manometer to check the draft??

Greg L

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Once in a while , I'll get that crusty buildup too. But it doesn't have any sulfur odor to it. At least not that I recall. Simply scrape off the buildup if it bothers. I would guess the sulfur smell is due to having another door , or draft open at the same time you have the hopper door open. Rule of thumb; "One openning at a time".

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 8:04 pm

I just went over to my 30-95 and opened the hopper door. By golly it does have a tan crust on it. The crust does smell like sulpher. I sometimes smell sulpher when I open the door and some times not. I think what I have been smelling is escaping gas. The door itself doesn't smell all that strong. I don't worry about it. The smell just triggers a feeling of cozy warmth I associate with my Hitzer. :)

treysgt

Post by treysgt » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 4:11 pm

It seems like it gets more crust when I have a low, slow fire going. That has not been a problem lately as I have been cranking this thing. I'm not too worried if others are seeing it sometimes too.

I am looking to buy a second one of these to replace my Harman Mk1 in the living room. The Ez-Flo really is much, um, EZ-er!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”