Hitzer Ez-Flo - Sulfur on Hopper Lid

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
treysgt
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark1

Post Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 8:38 pm

I've had a fire going steadily in my Hitzer 30-95 for a few weeks now. Burning fine, but I am getting a buildup of yellow/brown crust on the hopper lid (bottom side of course). It puts off a nasty sulfor odor when I open the door to reload. Just wondering if this is normal, and do you just wire-brush it once in a while?
I have been burning Superior nut in it.
Harman Mk1 in the living room, Hitzer 30-95 in basement

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Does your 30-95 have a barometric damper installed? Are you opening the ashpan door before you open the hopper lid? to rev-up the fire and increase draft? It may just be trapped exhaust gasses, or too low draft.. How tall is your chimney, and have you ever used a manometer to check the draft??

Greg L

Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)

Post Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Once in a while , I'll get that crusty buildup too. But it doesn't have any sulfur odor to it. At least not that I recall. Simply scrape off the buildup if it bothers. I would guess the sulfur smell is due to having another door , or draft open at the same time you have the hopper door open. Rule of thumb; "One openning at a time".

Visit Hitzer Stoves

grizzly2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

Post Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 8:04 pm

I just went over to my 30-95 and opened the hopper door. By golly it does have a tan crust on it. The crust does smell like sulpher. I sometimes smell sulpher when I open the door and some times not. I think what I have been smelling is escaping gas. The door itself doesn't smell all that strong. I don't worry about it. The smell just triggers a feeling of cozy warmth I associate with my Hitzer. :)
The only redeeming value of winter is that I can have a fire in my stove.

treysgt
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark1

Post Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 4:11 pm

It seems like it gets more crust when I have a low, slow fire going. That has not been a problem lately as I have been cranking this thing. I'm not too worried if others are seeing it sometimes too.

I am looking to buy a second one of these to replace my Harman Mk1 in the living room. The Ez-Flo really is much, um, EZ-er!
Harman Mk1 in the living room, Hitzer 30-95 in basement

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”