Heat Registers

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Tue. Nov. 18, 2008 7:37 pm

I want to add some heat registers from my rec room in the 1st floor and allow the heat to rise to the upstairs. Right now I have a drop ceiling above the stove unit, I have about 15 inches of space between the tile and the bottom of the floor. Currently the water lines and electric are all run underneath the joices, bad idea and poor planning on the pervious owners.

How many should I had and how should I go about doing it, I was thinking using wood and using a metal heat register for the top of the 2nd floor's floor.

Any suggestions and ideas would be great!

Dan

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Nov. 18, 2008 7:44 pm

I know alot of people do this. The is a thread about this somewhere and the need of some type of fire stop.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 18, 2008 8:14 pm

dtzackus wrote:I want to add some heat registers from my rec room in the 1st floor and allow the heat to rise to the upstairs. Right now I have a drop ceiling above the stove unit, I have about 15 inches of space between the tile and the bottom of the floor. Currently the water lines and electric are all run underneath the joices, bad idea and poor planning on the pervious owners.

How many should I had and how should I go about doing it, I was thinking using wood and using a metal heat register for the top of the 2nd floor's floor.

Dan
Get the box type that you can hook up a piece of flex dryer pipe from the one to the other. If you like the wood ones
downstairs then use them for the drop ceiling. You can also use a small duck fan in the pipe to push the heat upstairs more. On the drop ceiling you might have to take two metel straps/bars to hold up the registers on the drop ceiling. Tie it to you floor joist. Some of the Registers have small fans built into them. As far as fire control Auto shut registers.
I do not know if PA even has that in the code. I have a few register in my place and alot of the older homes have huge ones for the old hot air furnaces. Might be code on new homes but I don't think it applies to old Construction homes.

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 6:23 am

I did some research and found more information than I needed, but now I am confused. I need to do more research on cold/hot returns and also registers.

Only problem with knowledge....confusion...

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 5:02 pm

I tried the duct fan but it didn't move much air . I went and bought a bathroom exhaust fan and it works great. Chris

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 6:46 pm

I have the luxury of having an old building. A couple of holes hacked here and there just adds to the "charm". Above the two stoves downstairs, I just hacked a hole to the upstairs and framed it out with wood. I needed heat in the master bathroom upstairs, so I hacked another one. If the down stairs gets too hot, I just open the door at the bottom of the stairs. Never gave cold air returns a thought, and it works fine. The upstairs is warm, but not hot and if you want the heat to stay downstairs, just cover the grates with a rug.
A new home presents more of a problem with wires and things. Mostly wifey problems when you start hacking holes in the floor.
Good luck and good hacking !

TSB
IMG_4432.JPG
.JPG | 92.6KB | IMG_4432.JPG
IMG_4433.JPG
.JPG | 88.6KB | IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4434.JPG
.JPG | 85.3KB | IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG
.JPG | 111.9KB | IMG_4431.JPG

Attachments

IMG_4435.JPG
.JPG | 113.8KB | IMG_4435.JPG

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Um...see the Items for sale category. There is a 14 x 24 register for sale there. A very heavy duty unit. I have a few just like it cut into the floor which allows heat from my basement to rise directly into the main floor. The basement steps generally serve as a return in my layout.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”