No UL Stamp

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 7:31 pm

let me just start by thanking north candlewood, what a life saver! loving the coal. im gonna start a new thread and maybe someone has an answer. its about a wood stove. a friend of mine is installing a wood stove in his house. came from his parents, was built back in 1972 or so, perfect condition. has all the origional paper work with it. inspector came and inspected the new clay flue chimney, all is fine, but he is giving him a hard time with the stove cause it doesn't have a UL stamp on it. New York State law, well, according to the inspector. anyone ever hear of that problem? anyway to work around it?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Probably do to the age of the stove, regulations change over the years and different Approvals are probably required now, then they were back then. If it was still in the original house, probably not a problem (grandfathered in), but putting it into a new install, it probably has to meet current codes.

Might not be anything that can be done, unless the company is still around and they can verify it..... or get a new one that is certified :(

SAU

Post by SAU » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 2:34 am

I had the same issue but the stove was not grandfathered. I had two problems;

The chimney was not to code.

The stove was not ULed and had no clearance plate.

The chimney was condemned. We might have been able to find a pellet stove that would work but it wasn't a guarantee plus I get my coal as part of my wages. I could have kept the wood burner, which I was burning lump in, but I would have to go to the NFPA's (?) default clearances. As I recall those clearances were 48" the front, rear and sides (someone correct me) to any combustibles. I opted to core a hole through my foundation, put a new chimney up the side of the house, and buy a real coal burner.

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 1:28 pm

yeah, thats what I told him. sucks he might have to buy a new one

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”