What Does Banking Mean?

bigchunk

Post by bigchunk » Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 8:20 pm

shake it down,filler up. but I also know that stoves are different. meaning that the amount of coal you can put inside. on my stove it has the secondary air inlets the turning knobs. that you can open so it doesnt exsplode inside when you cover up the shaken down bed. but theres always some spots on the slope that you can clearly see glowing. after they start burning again I know they will burn off those building up gases then I will close the secondarys. just like one will do when starting their coal fire for the year. or the air will get sucked in if no air was able to get in and then whosh.... after the door was cracked open or inlet was opened so then it will blow the baro right off the pipe when you finely decide to go probing around in the burn pot. I also recomend using nut size with hand fired stoves just shovel it in and the nut size gives adaquit ventilation the pea is so dence that it realy blankets the gases bigtime. and it took longer to get going for me that is. sorry I went off topic. its just too much fun. mines been going now for a few weeks and again all my company loves the heat it makes. later.

beekeeper

Post by beekeeper » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 6:43 pm

DavidL wrote:
banking.JPG
Thank you.

That picture says everything that I had been trying to figure out for months.

:)

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey Hey Hey, I know what it means, and it's an old old way to slow down the burn, I promise to upload pictures for banking of an old Pittston sstove.

jim d

Post by jim d » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 8:25 pm

alexander hamilton says banking means good citizenship

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 10:28 am

I promised pictures, so here they are for banking a pittston stove, of course I did not fill up the stove first, that's why you see red !

Attachments

banking.jpg

Banking an old Pittston Cook/Heat stove

.JPG | 183.2KB | banking.jpg

dbjc364

Post by dbjc364 » Sat. May. 14, 2011 4:06 am

It means there's more money in your account inside that fancy building because your not burning foreign oil anymore! lol...

bja105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: Bit

Post by bja105 » Sun. May. 15, 2011 12:04 pm

At our farm, which we only occupied weekends and deer season, we had a gravity coal furnace, burning bituminous. Grandpap taught Dad to 'bank' the fire before bed. That meant shaking it, piling the coal in, and then covering with ashes, to slow it down. Dad never mastered it, so after bed time, the house would be sweltering, and when we got up in the morning, it would be cold. I don't remember what the air controls were at the furnace, but I'm sure that's what Dad's problem was.

We didn't keep any heat on in that house when we weren't there, we didn't have running water until a couple of years ago, and that house would be very cold when we got there. I remember digging the truck through 1/4 of snow drifted road to get to the house, and it being 20 degrees inside the house. We would get in bed with our winter coats on, and Dad would make a fire. In an hour or two, the house was bearable. I wish we still had the old furnace.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”