Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 2:52 pm

Yes we do!
It is the primary source of heat in our barn.
We use both wood and coal in it and here to help in anyway I can.
Id be more than happy to speak with you. I'm sending you a PM with my contact number or send me yours and I'll call you.

Charles

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 3:14 pm

This entire thread has confused me. It's almost 10years old, and was brought back from the dead by a new member, where the responses were kicked around from pros to cons, like a soccer ball. When one of the original poster replied, (TOTP), it has been morphed into a PM. I was under the impression the purpose of these threads were for all the members to learn from, or participate in. I guess all I can say is I hope it works out.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 3:50 pm

joeq wrote:This entire thread has confused me. It's almost 10years old, and was brought back from the dead by a new member, where the responses were kicked around from pros to cons, like a soccer ball. When one of the original poster replied, (TOTP), it has been morphed into a PM. I was under the impression the purpose of these threads were for all the members to learn from, or participate in. I guess all I can say is I hope it works out.
It was actually morphed into several PM's. The person that brpught the thread back up after the 10 year hiatus doesn't have the Hotblast furnace, but has a Clayton 1602 as best I can tell. They are cousins, but totally different furnaces, so IMHO it shouldn't have been posted here at all.

I did contact zimcocomp, by PM and explained how the Clayton is setup on the inside, which is totally different from the Hotblast, and how to get the most effective draft...........while keeping the 'over fire air' function intact for use with Anthracite coal. I also explained, that while I haven't used it, I think the 300 dollar blower would be a waste of money, as most of the air from it would be sent thru the Clayton 1600 series as 'over the fire' air.

When using wood, I can see where it would be beneficial as wood needs more over fire air, Anthracite needs mostly underfire air.

I hope this clears it up.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Where the hell did Z go??????????????????? Hopefully he's talkin w/ NC. :)

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 5:58 pm

freetown fred wrote:Where the hell did Z go??????????????????? Hopefully he's talkin w/ NC. :)
I hope he doesn't get the FAD, that may be 300 bucks wasted.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Maybe he started his own thread? But thanx for filling in the details men.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Z was a new member in 2010

zimcocomp
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602M
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Wood

Post by zimcocomp » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 8:57 pm

This discussion of what hot air furnace burns coal best doesn't work for me. Mostly I burn wood since I have plenty free, but when it gets really cold up here in Maine I burn coal. I can control the amount of heat and burn time much better than wood. I have a Clayton 1602 M and it does really well for my kind of use. This is the second winter and last winter was record setting. The Clayton performs quite well, but maybe not optimum, burning wood or coal.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 9:01 pm

zimcocomp wrote:This discussion of what hot air furnace burns coal best doesn't work for me. Mostly I burn wood since I have plenty free, but when it gets really cold up here in Maine I burn coal. I can control the amount of heat and burn time much better than wood. I have a Clayton 1602 M and it does really well for my kind of use. This is the second winter and last winter was record setting. The Clayton performs quite well, but maybe not optimum, burning wood or coal.
The Clayton, I agree is one heck of a woodburner. I've burned lots of wood in mine. With certain Bituminous coals it does really well also. I did need to modify mine for using the 'Big Vein' Bituminous coal as it is a hard, smokeless coal. And for burning mainly wood, the FAD should work fantastic for your situation.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”