Need Help in Western New York

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
User avatar
gitrdonecoal
Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557
Location: Elba, NY

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 7:31 am

hello everyone, and may I just say right off the bat that this site is great. withthat being said I neee help. I bought a 1557 hotblast USSC with intentions of burning coal. I did everything you guys say, but by the sounds of it, its not a very good coal furnace. now its november, in fustrated, and the fiance is even more :cry: . since its already been used I cant return it. the wood burns great, but coal is not the same. so im stuck with it. does any1 have suggestions in making it work better???????? I read on here that a guy mounted a blower fan on the ash door, wont the ashes fly all over the place??? please help and thank you
coal, the future of america

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
coalkirk
Member
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed. May. 17, 2006 8:12 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal
Location: Forest Hill MD

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 7:36 am

I don't know about mounting a fan on the ash door, might work. But for a long term strategy if you want to burn coal, I'd limp through this season burning wood and sell it in the spring. Order a good coal burner and never look back. Chalk it up to experience. Also unless you want the ability to burn wood also, I'd get a unit that only burns coal. The multi fuel units don't do as good a job. Too many compromises in design.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

User avatar
North Candlewood
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun. Dec. 09, 2007 9:00 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice
Location: Ct

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 8:38 am

Mudman
http://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=cms/articl ... ticle_id=2
11DIKL is the part from us stoves (it is on back order till Dec.) for the forced air draft (FAD) which mounts on the rear of your unit. I have been able to burn without one on the same unit we put in at a buddies home. It was tricky getting going. You could probly mount the kit from usstove for the clayton 1600, 16DIKL is the part number. Check the size of the port on the back, the 1600 port for the FAD looks to be 3.5 inch OD. you may have to sleeve to make it fit. The 16DIKL has other goodies with it.

User avatar
SemperFi
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 8:36 am
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: H.F. hopper 90k btu
Location: Western N.Y.

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Mudman, where in western NY are you?
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

User avatar
LsFarm
Member
Posts: 7385
Joined: Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 8:02 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland
Location: Michigan

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 7:16 pm

Hello mudman, there are several members on the forum who have managed to get their US Stove furnaces to burn acceptably..
One thread is here: Successfully Burning Anthracite Coal in a Clayton Furnace

Greg L

.
Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

User avatar
gitrdonecoal
Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Stove/Furnace Make: USSC
Stove/Furnace Model: Hotblast 1557
Location: Elba, NY

Post Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 9:03 pm

thanks for all your help. its roarin heat now, 75 degrees and about to go to bed. but I got draft issues, which I started an new topic. you guys may read it and comment on it if you would like, and thanks!
coal, the future of america

User avatar
zimcocomp
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri. Apr. 16, 2010 4:06 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602M
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Wood
Stove/Furnace Make: Clayton 1602M
Location: West Newfield, Maine

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 11:50 am

North Candlewood, do you still have a Clayton 1602? Did you connect a FAD (forced air draft) to it? If so did the blower connect to the secondary air intake? I am considering getting this system and would like to know a little more about how it works. More than the ones trying to sell it to me.

User avatar
windyhill4.2
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both
Location: Jonestown,Pa.17038

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Coal likes a constant air supply thru the bed of coal,forced draft is not an ideal thing with coal. A stoker works with forced air,but uses a small bed of coal. The $$ saved on buying a wood burner & attempting to turn it into a good coal burner is not good for ones health,blood pressure issues,frustration levels,anger management issues, & then the property damage caused by flying objects............ thrown by the frustrated operator,throw in the verbal issues of saying things that don't help,it all adds up to,ain't worth it.Plenty of good quality units out there that were designed to burn coal well,& will save $$ in the long run when the big picture is viewed. :)
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Posts: 8327
Joined: Sat. Feb. 10, 2007 9:48 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert
Location: Stillwater, New Jersey

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 12:17 pm

I have a friend that has a similar "combination" furnace. Burns wood great, we tried to get it to burn coal, it didn't work very well.

Eventually he is planning on getting a dedicated coal furnace in addition to the wood burner.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

User avatar
SWPaDon
Member
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace
Location: Southwest Pa.

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 12:32 pm

zimcocomp, I sent you a PM with this information also:
Your Clayton 1602 has a plate in the front and rear of the firebox, that has 3 holes in each one. Either block those holes with bolts or something, or pull the plates and insert a piece of metal under them to block the airflow. This will also block all over the fire air because of the way the furnace is designed.
If you put a plate of metal, under the front baffle, over the fire air can be adjusted with the front damper on the stove. Bolts in the holes will completely block all over the fire air.
Attachments
liner.jpg
liner.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 660 times

User avatar
hotblast1357
Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 10:06 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: oil furnace
Location: Peasleeville, NY

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 1:50 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Coal likes a constant air supply thru the bed of coal,forced draft is not an ideal thing with coal. A stoker works with forced air,but uses a small bed of coal. The $$ saved on buying a wood burner & attempting to turn it into a good coal burner is not good for ones health,blood pressure issues,frustration levels,anger management issues, & then the property damage caused by flying objects............ thrown by the frustrated operator,throw in the verbal issues of saying things that don't help,it all adds up to,ain't worth it.Plenty of good quality units out there that were designed to burn coal well,& will save $$ in the long run when the big picture is viewed. :)
I would have to disagree with every word in the post, my New Yorker wood coal boiler with a combustion fan has performed very very well this winte, with no mods done to it and no aggrevation.

User avatar
windyhill4.2
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both
Location: Jonestown,Pa.17038

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 2:05 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
windyhill4.2 wrote:Coal likes a constant air supply thru the bed of coal,forced draft is not an ideal thing with coal. A stoker works with forced air,but uses a small bed of coal. The $$ saved on buying a wood burner & attempting to turn it into a good coal burner is not good for ones health,blood pressure issues,frustration levels,anger management issues, & then the property damage caused by flying objects............ thrown by the frustrated operator,throw in the verbal issues of saying things that don't help,it all adds up to,ain't worth it.Plenty of good quality units out there that were designed to burn coal well,& will save $$ in the long run when the big picture is viewed. :)
I would have to disagree with every word in the post, my New Yorker wood coal boiler with a combustion fan has performed very very well this winte, with no mods done to it and no aggrevation.
New Yorker & EFM, to name 2 quality units,both made a wood /coal burner,both of those units are way above the Clayton/HotBlast/ many other names. You disagree with every word ? A stoker uses forced air thru a small bed of coal .... that is a fact. Plenty of good coal burning units available....Fact. With a hand fed unit,forced combustion creates a greater possibility of activating a dump zone then natural draft.... fact.
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

User avatar
hotblast1357
Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 10:06 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: oil furnace
Location: Peasleeville, NY

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 2:18 pm

I also used a hot blast furnace that I never had a problem with, if not for wanting to heat the garage and dhw with just one unit I would prob still be using the hot blast. And yes a stoker uses a combustion fan, a hand fed hot air furnace using a combustion fan does not create the possibility of activating the dump zone, it does not have a dump zone, the poster has a hot air furnace, so it does not apply, and a hand fed boiler with a combustion fan set up with a proper system does not dump as often as one would think.

User avatar
windyhill4.2
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both
Location: Jonestown,Pa.17038

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 2:38 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:I also used a hot blast furnace that I never had a problem with, if not for wanting to heat the garage and dhw with just one unit I would prob still be using the hot blast. And yes a stoker uses a combustion fan, a hand fed hot air furnace using a combustion fan does not create the possibility of activating the dump zone, it does not have a dump zone, the poster has a hot air furnace, so it does not apply, and a hand fed boiler with a combustion fan set up with a proper system does not dump as often as one would think.
You are correct about the furnace not boiler.... so I looked at my first post,no mention of boiler there.... I must have gotten the boiler idea from some one else's post about their boiler. :roll: The fact is,the Clayton is NOT an optimal coal burner.......if a person owns one & wants to upgrade from wood to coal,yes, go ahead & modify the existing wood burner. If buying a unit to use,buy a unit that is better designed to burn coal from the git-go. :)
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

User avatar
hotblast1357
Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 10:06 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: oil furnace
Location: Peasleeville, NY

Post Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 2:41 pm

They need to do whatever they can afford at the time, we are here to help them make it burn.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”