Ideal Temps?

BillyR1970

Post by BillyR1970 » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Hello, I have a Mark 3 and was wondering what were ideal temps to run my stove? (for cold days and warmer days) Also what is the max temp I can run it and lowest temp also? I know with wood you can have creosote problems when run to low. New and not sure if there are any risks when low.

Thanks, Billy

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:07 pm

BillyR1970 wrote:Hello, I have a Mark 3 and was wondering what were ideal temps to run my stove? (for cold days and warmer days) Also what is the max temp I can run it and lowest temp also? I know with wood you can have creosote problems when run to low. New and not sure if there are any risks when low.

Thanks, Billy
No such thing as an ideal temp Billy. Every house, stove/chimney system & location is different. The best thing to do is just learn through trial & error. (How hot do you need to run your stove to maintain the desired house temp you want?) This will change with outside temps & from house to house,. Sorry, but there is just no shortcut for experience.
In terms of low fire temp risks, coal does not give off creosote at any temp & other than losing your fire & carbon monoxide dangers, I can't really think of any low temp dangers. A few good CO detectors is an absolute must!

Welcome & good luck!

BillyR1970

Post by BillyR1970 » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks, when will this bad boy be to hot? (dont want to melt it...., 3,4, or 500 deg) Shes running at 200 now but might try a little higher when gets colder. THIS forum is GREAT... Excellent advice from all.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 9:51 pm

BillyR1970 wrote:Thanks, when will this bad boy be to hot?
I rarely run mine above 400* but I'm sure others run their's hotter. Personally I would say 500* tops, but others may have different opinions. (keep in mind that at those high temps you will be burning through allot more coal than you are now, & will need to shake-down/reload more often)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Nov. 10, 2008 9:06 am

BillyR,,,
I am not sure where or how you are measuring your temps, but I have a magnetic thermometer on my flue about 18" or so above the stove (a Mark III). The temp there when running a steady coal fire in the winter is between 200* - 225*. When I am shaking it down and emptying ash I let the fire get going again by leaving the ash door open before adding coal and then the temp may get up to 300* for a short time before dropping to the normal coal fire range after closing the ash door again.

When I am burning wood in early fall or late spring the temp is around 350*. It is higher when I am staring up a fire with kindling, around 450*, but usually only for a short period of time.

As Devil505 said, your set up may vary from those numbers, but it gives you an idea of what others ranges are.

BillyR1970

Post by BillyR1970 » Mon. Nov. 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks guys. I have it set at 200 now and is running fine. I was just wondering as this is my first time with coal in the house.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Mon. Nov. 10, 2008 7:12 pm

I have the TLC 2000 and was wondering if it's normal for the paint to bubble and peal off under the top loading door? I have a couple good size spots where it looks like it craked or bubbled paint and when I run my finger across it it peeled oof down to the metal.
Jack

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”