First Firing for the TLC 2000 and I Have Questions

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 2:23 pm

My wife is out for a while and I couldn't help but give the TLC 2000 a first fire. I am trying some wood right now and it was burning half way decent with the wood controls wide open .Then I added some more thin wood pcs. and opened up the ash door. That really worked nice but temp is around 175. What temp do I need to break it in with ? Also I noticed that the main door on the handle side ,I can see some light between the gasket and frame. Not alot but I can. The gasket looks flush all around other than that. When I start burning coal will that present a problem with co 2 emissions ? I just put a log on her and she is running at 200 degrees and I can smell the newness wearing off. Sure ain't like that new car smell though ! :D Forgot to say the outside temp is 63 degrees. Does that mean I'll get plenty of draft when it gets colder out ? Thanks all.
Jack

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi Jack,

I would try a few low temp fires just to break it in a bit. (keep windows open to let the paint burning in smell out)
The door handle can be adjusted with an Allen Wrench but you don't need to make it too tight as, when burning & vented correctly, the stove will be a vacuum & air will actually be drawn INTO the stove, not out. (Of course you should always have at least one CO detector operating whenever you burn any stove. (2 is more failsafe)
It's a great stove Jack!

Enjoy!

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Devil,
Never had a temp gauge before even on wood so I don't know what your calling low temp? Thanks for the speedy reply.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 2:53 pm

Well, The rain started and it seems to have dampened my fire so ash door open again.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 3:20 pm

I can't keep the fire going . Think the rain and 63 degree weather is doing it?

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 5:01 pm

It can be a problem getting a good draft with warm temps. It takes me a long time to get the stove putting out heat with warm temps.Do you have the top air vents open and the flap under the top loading door removed for burning wood? As for the door , open it and make sure the handle is screwed all the ways clockwise before latching it closed. Chris.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Sorry Jack...I just got back from my daughter's house as she almost put out her fire by shaking down to much with a weak draft. (Still almost 60* here in Mass :mad: )
Jack Magnum wrote:Devil,
Never had a temp gauge before even on wood so I don't know what your calling low temp?
You have one now, right? (if so, I have my alarm set to go off at 125* mag. stack temp) In warm weather it can be tough to keep your fire low due to poor draft condition. I would say 150* at a minimum.
Jack Magnum wrote:ell, The rain started and it seems to have dampened my fire so ash door open again.
How does the rain dampen your fire?
Jack Magnum wrote:I can't keep the fire going . Think the rain and 63 degree weather is doing it?
The rain shouldn't have an effect but 63* will make it tough. You have to increase the fire to overcome a weak draft. But...that may drive you out of the house so, sometimes your better off just letting the fire go out if it's going to be warm for a few days. Otherwise...Use your windowstats!! :lol:

Edit: Chris is right about this: "As for the door , open it and make sure the handle is screwed all the ways clockwise before latching it closed. Chris." ...You won't need the allen wrench to do that. Just turn it & keep checking the latch until it's as tight as you need....Just snug is all you need.... compress the door gasket a bit.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Chris , Thanks for the info. Yep door is out for wood burning. Both wood air is wide open and now I am playing with my blower. Boy ,pretty quiet compared to my wood burning insert. Anyway, temp is running 150-200 degrees and when I put a fresh pc of wood on I open the ash door and boy she takes right off. I like it. I will play with the wood until it gets cold and til then the wife likes the smell of ash. Devil thanks for all your input too. Appreciate.
Jack

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Mon. Nov. 10, 2008 9:42 am

I have another wood fire going and the outside temp is 38 degrees. After starting the fire I increased air thru the ash door and I got it to 4oo degrees more than before by 200 degrees . Burns great that way. When I shut the ash door even with both upper draft levers wide open I really can't keep a good fire going and the inside gets dark, open the ash door again and everything burns good. I have a toatl of 14 1/2 ft chimney above stove collar. That should be enough to draft shouldn't it ?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 1:04 pm

14-15' of chimney is not a lot of chimney.. In warm weather with the stove burning at a low temperature, you will have problems with keeping enough draft to keep the fire alive...

I'd recommend instaling a manometer so you can measure and monitor your draft.. and adjust the amount of air to the fire [heat output] you need to keep the chimney warm.

A potential problem with a marginal chimney is the tightness of your house.. if you have a tight, well insulated house with good, well sealed windows, and the house is constructed with house-wrap, then you will have a problem with pulling air from the sealed house.. a marginal chimney will have real problems. If you turn on a clothes dryer [strong exhaust fan] and a bathroom fan, you may have a draft reversal in the chimney in warmer weather.. The cure for this is to provide a dedicated outside air source to the stove.

Keep the fire burning on the warm side,, and keep any above the fire air sources closed, feed air to the coal fire only through the ashpan door vents..

Hope this helps.. Greg L.

bugize

Post by bugize » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 1:51 pm

i had a tlc2000 once and didnt like it,the door seal can be tightened by an adjustment on the door handle which if memory serves,can be adjusted by hand with no tools.
I found it didnt burn wood all that well either,even with the air controls by the door(for wood) I still had to use the draft slider on the ash door. then when it came to burning coal I couldnt get much heat from it,luckily my dealer was all about costomer service and he took the stove back,allowed me what I paid for it even though I used it for 2 whole months,and then I got a mark3...what a difference,like going from a dodge neon to a 3/4 ton pickup!
with that being said...the outside temps are just too warm,rainy weather doesnt help either. :shock:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 2:16 pm

bugize wrote:i found it didnt burn wood all that well either,even with the air controls by the door(for wood) I still had to use the draft slider on the ash door. then when it came to burning coal I couldnt get much heat from it,
I've been heating my house with a TLC2000 for 4 years now & I have no trouble getting plenty of heat from coal. (I've burned wood occasionally, but mainly coal.) If you couldn't get much heat from your TLC burning coal, I suggest the problem was something aside from the stove itself. (Perhaps bad coal, venting problems, technique, etc)
The TLC is my 3rd coal stove, & by far the best one I've ever had.

Quick Thought: The TLC is a "Jacketed" stove & really needs a blower to throw much heat. Did you have a blower?
Harman makes the blower an option but the TLC really needs one to work well.

Jack Magnum

Post by Jack Magnum » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Devil,
My TLC 2000 has a blower. Do you suggest adding more length to the 14 1/2 ' chimney. It looks like a tajmahal now :D

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Jack Magnum wrote:My TLC 2000 has a blower. Do you suggest adding more length to the 14 1/2 ' chimney. It looks like a tajmahal now :D
As long as it draws well Jack, I'd leave well enough alone! :lol:

(I'm far from a chimney expert here though) ;)

bugize

Post by bugize » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 9:55 pm

yup...had the blower...the stove was in the basement...just didnt throw enough heat. I know some people have good luck with them,i didnt...all I did was get a mark3 and changed for the better...same coal and everything! :shock:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”