How Close Is to Close??

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Madhatter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I & II
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Pea

Post Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Hello all,

My name is Gordon and I live in NC. Lived in NH with father growing up and heated house with weso coal stove. I have just baught a new Harman MK1 :dancing: and picked it up last Friday. I have seen lots of differant heat shealds and would like to know how mutch they cut back on clearance. I am thinking of doing rockboard and steel one inch spaced from wall ane one inch from floor. Can you guyes give me some info??

Thank you

Gordon

Ps. This in a grate Forum.
Last edited by Madhatter on Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Gordon,

first of all your PS is brilliant. "this is a grate forum." I love it!

Now as to clearances. generally you reduce the required clearance by 1/2 if you install a heat shield as you describe. Good luck.

Terry
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Madhatter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I & II
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Pea

Post Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info. Now I have to get to work building it and the chimney. I am shure that I will have lots of questions.

Thanks

Gordon

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”