Hitzer 983 Info

woodyb

Post by woodyb » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi, I currently have Harman Magnafire insert that I have been using for 10 years. The insert is probably about 20 years old and starting to deteriorate. So I was considering replacing with a Hitzer 983 insert. I was hoping to get some feedback on positives or negatives of the Hitzer 983. Thanks

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 9:44 pm

We have the Hitzer stoker insert, it is super - burns about 36 hrs on lowest draft setting. Quite clean with little to no dust
(we use a +/- $40 Hitzer ash tote of the correct size dumping the ashes after they cool). Our other Hitzer has an automatic draft control which is very nice, but it is freestanding - with the insert this is not possible. Used about 3 tons of coal each the last two seasons - zero problems. Good Luck, baldeagle

BM-80

Post by BM-80 » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 1:28 am

I just got a 983 insert...I LOVE it. I also considered the 503 (which has a hopper system). There is an excellent thread entitled "503 installation photos" which has lots of information about the 503. Except for the info specific to the hopper, this thread is VERY helpful to the operation of the 983.
There a a few differences between the two: the 983 does not have a hopper, but has a much larger firebox and has three grates instead of two (I believe the individual grates are interchangable and are probably the same part number). The 983 takes an eight inch flue/flex pipe and the 503 takes a six inch pipe. Also, the 983 is rated for approx 25,000 more BTU. But remember, only the 503 has the hopper. The outside dimensions are within about an inch of each other with the 983 being slightly larger.
I chose the 983 because it is better suited to burning wood....because of the lack of a hopper in the middle of the stove and because of a much larger firebox. I have access to plenty of free oak firewood, your own situation may be much different. Also, because of the extended burn times of coal (in ANY stove) I like the option of starting a good wood fire and loading the stove and going to bed. This works well in the mild weather when I just need a heat "boost" for 5 or 6 hours during the fall season.
I'll tell you, though.... after reading that thread and hearing how well the hopper works, you may want to consider the 503 if you're not planning on burning wood.

Bob M

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 8:34 pm

woodyb--

I've had a 983 for one month, and have had no complaints whatsoever. It puts out alot of heat, is well built and user-freindly. My only wish would be to have variable control of fan speed.

Jim503RI
Coal Size/Type: Nut & pea
Other Heating: none

Post by Jim503RI » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 12:50 pm

It might be too late since this post was from Nov. 08. You can buy a speed control that you plug into the outlet and then plug the stove fan into it. It has a speed control knob on it. I think they call it a rheostat. You can get one at Home Depot or you local stove shop.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 11:53 am

ASHcat -- as mentioned the speed control is available, but I have been warned. ...DO NOT leave the fans on the auto setting of the 503/983? when on low speed. It will shorten fan life (starting/stopping with lo-amps) Best, baldeagle

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks baldeagle. I have a variable fan speed controller and have also been setting the stove fan switch in the Always-On position (not thermostat-controlled Auto position). Works really well--I'm hoping the fans don't object to it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”