Design A Motorized Slide Control

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Dallas, you are correct,, a coal trol is meant for stoker stoves,, but I think the term 'a poor man's Coal Trol' still stands. because your setup does what many people want from the coal trol,, programable ramp up of heat at given times..

Greg L

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Only for girlie-man stoves.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 5:05 pm

LsFarm wrote:but I think the term 'a poor man's Coal Trol' still stands. because your setup does what many people want from the coal trol,, programable ramp up of heat at given times.. Greg L
I'd rather think of it as "a semi automatic ... hand fired" :clap: :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 5:09 pm

OK, that's good too. :D :lol:

Greg L.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm just always looking for new "Toys" to buy my TLC .....but somehow I don't really think I could get it to automatically maintain a thermostatically controlled temp.....but...then again.... ;) :lol:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 7:40 pm

Devil505 wrote: but somehow I don't really think I could get it to automatically maintain a thermostatically controlled temp.....but...then again.... ;) :lol:
Why do you think that? You can prove it to yourself over a short period of time. Get the area, affected by the stove's heat, which you would like to control, up to temperature with the stove. ... Close the damper nearly all the way. ... wait for the same area to drop 2* and run to the stove and open the damper wide open. Wait for the area to come back to temp and run through the same cycle a time or two more. You'll be able to see exactly what the effects are going to be, using a thermostatically controlled damper motor.

It beats the hell out of getting a little chilly, opening the damper, getting a little too hot and closing the damper, getting a little chilly, to find the stove nearly out, etc.. ... or trying to pick the spot where the damper should be placed.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Dallas wrote:Why do you think that?
I guess it's because I have a tough time believing that, without spending way more than it's worth for me to try it, that I can find something that will give me the very fine control that is needed to male accurate, small temp changes on my TLC. The slider control really only has to move between 1/4"-1/2" to make the changes I want.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 7:52 pm

I believe, Ron Paul has one on his stove. toothy

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Dallas wrote:I believe, Ron Paul has one on his stove. toothy
:up: :devil:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 10:59 am

This morning, I was reminded of one of the reasons, which prompted me to come up with a thermostatically controlled, hand fired stove.

It was 30 some degrees ... outside (74* inside :!: ), the wind was howling, the air had both rain and snow ... just not a nice day to crawl out of bed to a cold house and have to make a bee-line to the stove to get it "cookin' ". I checked the stove, which was burning bright red and blowing out the heat. Shook it down, added coal, made coffee and relaxed, ......... before going to get dressed. ....Life is good :!:

Edit: Also, I'm reminded of the convenience of the indoor coal bin. Unfortunately, the barn door is swinging loose in the wind, so must disrupt everything and go take care of the barn door. :x

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 11:08 am

Cool, raw & rainy here this morning. I still haven't even turned on the stove's blower yet today, but will pretty soon.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 11:48 am

Devil505 wrote:I still haven't even turned on the stove's blower yet today, but will pretty soon.
:?: You mean your stove doesn't even have a thermostat on the blower :!: :?: I can tell you how to do that, as well. :lol:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 12:41 pm

Dallas wrote::?: You mean your stove doesn't even have a thermostat on the blower :!: :?: I can tell you how to do that, as well. :lol:
I thought about doing that Dallas but I find a simple timer work best. (I have it set to start at 3:00AM, along with the new vent I installed above my computer.) Works fine. I don't need much heat upstairs during the day anyway, as I'm usually down here..........Saving the world...online!! :lol: :devil:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”