Design A Motorized Slide Control

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 6:38 am

I'm looking for ideas on how I could bolt something to my ash door that would allow me to electrically control the slide air control on my Harman TLC2000 so that I could control it with a thermostat. The slide control has a full range of about 4" but must be able to make very fine movements of around 1/4" to work effectively. (It's in a finished room & must be able to pass the "Wife Test" visually! :lol:

Attachments

004.JPG
.JPG | 171.3KB | 004.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 7:27 am

Some type of stepper motor, screw actuators, etc, probably have to hook to a PLC or control system so it can send a signal to open or close....
Don't that have those temperature springs for dampers, maybe you could rig one up somehow....

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 8:56 am

You looking to run it from remote control so you don't have to get up out of your chair? Sound's like a Democrat thing to me :P

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 10:49 am

Devil, I told you how to do that last year. Not in increments, though ... open or closed ... works fine.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:07 am

Dallas wrote:Devil, I told you how to do that last year. Not in increments, though ... open or closed ... works fine.
Forgot about that Dallas. This control looks like it may work. (did you make it yourself or buy it?

You can't make fine adjustments with it?
Is it really useful or did you find doing it manually worked easier?

Attachments

damper1.jpg
.JPG | 25.6KB | damper1.jpg
damper2.jpg
.JPG | 25.2KB | damper2.jpg

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:20 am

The damper motor is a Honeywell ... number is in that thread somewhere. The gray box in the back contains a 26v transformer and relay (home fabricated), but I don't think, it's needed. I think, the damper motor can be controlled directly with the 26v thermostat.

The unit works great with a programmable T-stat. The house is cooler at night, the heat comes up before I get out of bed and maintains through the day. What more could you ask for. Also, with the programmable T-stat, you can factor in the "lag of coal heating and cooling off".

It won't tend to the fire, though.

Edit: A 26v transformer needs to be incorporated into the system. But I don't think, a relay is required.

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:37 am

Adamiscold wrote:You looking to run it from remote control so you don't have to get up out of your chair? Sound's like a Democrat thing to me :P
Sounds like you should just come out of the closet, admit you're a girlie man, and buy a stoker! :up:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:43 am

Naw, this baby will still function when the power lines are lying on the ground :lol:

I took a closer look at Devil's picture and it looks like the only air your stove gets is through the "slot", where the control moves. As you notice on my stove, when the slide control moves, it opens a much larger aperture. I was looking at this aspect in regard to travel. The travel can be regulated with the position of a strap mounted to the wheel on the motor. The longer the strap setting the larger the diameter of the arc of the strap.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:49 am

Trying to adapt either of these to work for me: :lol:

Attachments

RG_55.jpg
.JPG | 31.5KB | RG_55.jpg
RG_10.jpg
.JPG | 36KB | RG_10.jpg

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 11:55 am

Dallas wrote:Naw, this baby will still function when the power lines are lying on the ground :lol:

I took a closer look at Devil's picture and it looks like the only air your stove gets is through the "slot", where the control moves. As you notice on my stove, when the slide control moves, it opens a much larger aperture. I was looking at this aspect in regard to travel. The travel can be regulated with the position of a strap mounted to the wheel on the motor. The longer the strap setting the larger the diameter of the arc of the strap.
Do you actually find it useful?
think the strap/wheel mounting could be adjusted for very fine control...say 1/4" movement?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 12:18 pm

A poor mans Coaltrol.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Devil505 wrote:Do you actually find it useful?
think the strap/wheel mounting could be adjusted for very fine control...say 1/4" movement?
I find it very useful. .. a big time and comfort saver. This particular damper control can't be modulated .. moved in small increments. It's either, open or closed. I believe there are damper controls, which can be modulated, however they need reversing voltage to direct the motor to move ... one way or the other.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 1:53 pm

Devil, please don't install one of these, it will give you more time to post on the 'other topics' forum, and you live there as it is !! :shock: :lol: :D :mad:

Greg L

Just teasing ya.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 2:14 pm

LsFarm wrote:Devil, please don't install one of these, it will give you more time to post on the 'other topics' forum, and you live there as it is !! :shock: :lol: :D :mad:
I do stick to the main point of this forum Greg...Politics, right?? (I wish people would stop with the stupid COAL Heating posts........It's very distracting!! :lol:

Edit: Just had 2 pallets of Blaschak nut delivered (for next winter) 120 forty lb bags. (2.4 tons) $825.00 inc delivery)

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 4:21 pm

traderfjp wrote:A poor mans Coaltrol.
That may very well be, however I don't believe the Coal-Trol is designed to keep your house temperature where you would like it ... if you are burning a hand fired stove. Feel free to correct me, if I'm in error.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”