Glass Gaskets

ss_burns

Post by ss_burns » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 5:39 pm

does anyone have any idea how the glass gasket should look on a Harman magnafire elite insert? I reciently bought this used stove, and went about thoroughly cleaning and repainting it. while tending to the brass, I noticed that there is only gasket material on either side of the glass sight window... not the top and bottom. Is this right? I can't imagine having gaps around the glass would be good, but I'm new to this coal thing so I'm hoping someone here knows for sure.. thanks!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 5:44 pm

That is the normal gasket setup on Harman stoves.. the gap at the top and bottom is to allow a small amount of air into the firebox, keeping the glass cleaner and cooler.

Since the firebox is always under a slight vacuum the lack of a gasket is not an issue..

Hope this helps.. Greg L

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Both my old Mark I & my new Mark III are the same way.

ss_burns

Post by ss_burns » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:25 pm

thanks for the reply guys.. just looked odd to me is all.. :)

knit

Post by knit » Wed. Nov. 26, 2008 9:50 am

Can anyone tell me what size (diameter) glass door gasket I need to buy for my Harman Mark I coal stove. Does the gasket go continually around the door and should it protrude out of the channel or sit flush in the channel....are there any brands I should avoid?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Nov. 26, 2008 11:55 am

The gasket for glass that I have used is a flat ribbon, about 7/8" or 1" wide, with a self-stick adhesive on one side.. the Harman stoves use gaskets only on the sides of the glass, leaving a small gap on the top and bottom of the glass.. this allows some fresh air to enter and helps keep the glass cleaner..

Use the thinnest gasket you can find,, and LOOSELY fasten the glass in place,, don't tighten the fasteners against the glass tight,, you will break the $80 glass !!

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”