Can I Use Anthricite in My Hot Blast 1500?

wnyjim

Post by wnyjim » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 9:43 am

I have a used Hot Blast model 1500 wood coal furnace.It came with the house and I needed chimney work to use it safely. I am almost finished with relining my chimney and ready to burn some coal. My book says Bituminus coal egg size or larger. From what I have read here Anthracite is the way to go. Will it hurt to try Anthricite? What is the diffrence to the stove? Will it ruin it or just not burn right? I am really new at this so thanks for any help.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Depending on your chimney, quality of coal available, and patience learning the quirks of the US stove 'Hot Blast'.. you may have luck with your furnace..

There have been several members who have had good luck burning anthracite in these units, and also a few who gave up..

This thread is very helpfull, do a search for US Stove, Clayton, Hot Blast and Hotblast..

Successfully Burning Anthracite Coal in a Clayton Furnace

Let us know how it goes for you.

Greg L

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi wnyjim
I have been burning a hotblast for 3 years now with nut size anthracite.It's a little finicky with nut coal.I think it'll be much EZer with stove coal.I tried mine with stove coal but I think the quality of the stove coal I had was poor.The shaker grates don't shake down that well with coal but with a little modification they work.Maybe they will work better with stove coal.If you need any help just post your questions.

I'll give you a quick rundown of what I did to mine so it would run well on nut coal.

Ground down grates so the shake down was EZer.

Installed an adjustable fan and limit switch...$ 75.00

Drilled a 2nd air hole in the ash door...2" dia.With GOOD stove coal you might not have to do this.
DON

wnyjim

Post by wnyjim » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the fast support. I am already practicing in my fireplace with nut anthricite. So far so good. As soon as my Furnace is ready I plan on gettine some Stove size Anthricite and mixing in the 240lbs of bagged nut size and see how it goes. Luckily I have a good dealer nearby who stocks various sizes and seems to be good quality' Keep em comin My better hals and I am very excited about burning coal and saying enough to the fuel oil prices. My main concern with biteuminus was clinkers and dirty burn vs anthricite. All I know I have learned right her. THANKS AGAIN!!

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 7:59 pm

One thing to keep in mind with anthracite is that ALL the air to the fire has to go through the coal bed !Keep the air adjuster in the loading door closed all the times.
DON

wnyjim

Post by wnyjim » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks for the tip. I didnt know that. Hoping to get it going as soon as the weather gets a bit colder here.

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 10:09 pm

How is the draft in your chimney? Too little, little burn, too much, fast burn & no heat, $30.00 + - buys you a manometer
It helped me get more heat from my 1600. I burn mostly nut coal. I'll play with stove coal a little more this year. I also have a wood chuck in the barn and it likes stove coal better. I think it is due to the lack of insulation in the barn and stove coal gives off a more intense heat due to the volume of air it receives.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 6:54 pm

I don't think you can have to much draft with a Hotblast.This time of the year mine runs at .06, and .08 to .1 in mid winter.
DON

wnyjim

Post by wnyjim » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 5:03 am

Sounds like something I should be checking into. I live at the very top of a high hill in a older log house. It gets very windy up here so I think my chimney will have alot of draft. Can someone post a link to where to get a manometer that works good for chimneys as well as how to hook it up to read the draft?

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 8:52 am

Manometer and also search board index coal discussion and news for more related info
MARK II 25 link; http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Gr ... Name=Intro
Also do you have a barometric damper installed;https://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CO-32120

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”