I Done It Today Hitzer 503

jjfcars

Post by jjfcars » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 9:53 pm

well been reading this site for a long time now and done it today bought a hitzer 503 it will be installed dec 1st cant wait I will be looking for alot of help from you guys. I read this site top to bottom everynite when it is installed you will be hearing from me often
thanks
randy

ken

Post by ken » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 11:09 pm

hope all goes as planned. :D

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Thu. Oct. 23, 2008 11:17 pm

I hope your not a Moonbat, we don't take kindly to them.

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 6:01 am

Congratulations, Randy! You'll love the 503. After a couple of test burns in Sept. and early Oct., mine has been cranking now since last Wednesday, and I plan to keep it burning until Spring. It's keeping my 1,250 SF ranch 74-78* in the room where the 503 is and 68-70* in the bedroom farthest from the stove. Outside temps have been in the 40s during the day and down to the mid- to high 20s at night. Averaging about 30 lbs. of coal a day.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 7:03 am

Hi Randy....you'll find plenty of help from the 503'ers and many others as well. My 503 should be installed next week and I have also been following the escapades of the 503 gang here at the forum. I've found that Van Buren asks the best questions and Capecoaler, Tfaath & Jafadog have the best answers. There are several others like Richard, Greg, Devil, CoalBerner & on and on......I probably have forgotten some others....but they also contribute much to this forum and are not shy about giving help in general.
Let's compare notes in a few weeks as we share our experiences on the Forum.
Good luck.....

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 7:23 am

bear creek burnout wrote:I've found that Van Buren asks the best questions
Or at least the most questions.... ;)
and Capecoaler, Tfaath & Jafadog have the best answers.
Or at least the most answers (right, wrong, or otherwise).... :D

We Coal Newbies (like any other kind of newbies) have to be able to poke fun at ourselves from time to time. The decision to "go coal" isn't an easy one or a cheap one (at least for the startup costs), but, once the decision is made, it's all gravy. Learning is a big part of the fun (the other part is being toasty warm all winter without having to buy heating oil at 2 to 3 times the price of coal). The paramount concern when dealing with having a large amount of stored energy combusting inside one's living area is SAFETY. Be safe, and the rest will follow.

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 3:56 pm

JafaDog wrote:Or at least the most questions....
LOL ! :lol: - for sure I ask the most !

jjfcars

Post by jjfcars » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 7:01 pm

still reading all the posts fill like ive been burnig coal for a 100 years cant wait to get the 503 now

tfaath

Post by tfaath » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Randy,

It’s good to hear the family of 503 owners / operators continues to grow! We can all use the experience of others to learn from.

I did basically the same thing as you, spent a lot of time lurking in the background, reading everything I could on coal burning, then made my decision. Like Bear Creek said we have a group of guys here that are current users .. if there is anything any of us can do to help, please post here.

We’re all interested in how you do … you’re going to love this think once you get it up an running. My wife was teasing me before the heating season started, saying that she was expecting to see a lot of my “backside” this winter because I’d have my nose glued to the insert window. With the house at a comfortable 68 – 70 deg, she hasn’t said a word …

Keep us posted.

Tom

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”