TLC2000 Question

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:10 pm

When I left for work at 3:45AM the stove was going strong. I shook it down and the coal was at the second bar in front of the door. About 11am my wife shook it down,poked around to get some red coals showing(I don't know why she poked) and added a few scoops of coal and she was careful to leave some flames showing .She turned it up to the third notch on the air vent for a 1/2 hour and then turned it down to the first notch and went out. At 2pm she called and told me it went out. I had her shake it down and it was Definitely out. Any ideas what she did wrong? It had been going since Saturday with no problems. I got home at 7pm and am relighting it right now. Thanks, Chris

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Way to many variables to give you a definitive answer, but a couple off thoughts:

1. Why was the TLC filled only up to the 2nd bar?...Fill it as high as you can, every time.
2. I think you would probably still have had a good fire if your wife had just left it alone., other than maybe sprinkling a little fresh coal across the fire once or twice.

Shaking down a hand fired stove is something that take practise & requires a 'Touch" that takes time to get a feel for. I suggest that just one of you do it until you are real comfortable with it & then teach the other. In almost 27 years of coal burning, I don't think my wife has ever thrown a shovel full of coal in the stove! :lol: (she is just not mechanical & hates that kinda stuff)
Let one of you become the stove expert first, would be my advise. The TLC is a great stove but all stoves can get finicky at times & prefer one "master". ;)

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 7:46 pm

I knew I could count on you for a quick answer. I had been filling it once a day because I don't have a lot of extra time in the morning and it seemed to be working ok.I agree on one person learning the stove first but she had just been shaking the stove at noon and it didn't seem to be a big deal. I think she got in over her head with the poking and adding. I also don't want to ruin her excitement and stop her from trying to help .She was pretty upset and I don't think she'll be tinkering again soon. Does it need to be shaken mid day? Chris

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Always crank up the temperature first before shaking and adding coal. If she just added coal on top without shaking and poking it probably would have been ok until you got home.

Oh, and this time of year I only do it once a day until it gets colder and I have to crank up the temp on the stove. Then I go to a twice a day schedule because I'm using more coal.
Last edited by EasyRay on Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:05 pm

zeeklu wrote:I also don't want to ruin her excitement and stop her from trying to help .She was pretty upset and I don't think she'll be tinkering again soon. Does it need to be shaken mid day? Chris
I would certainly not discourage you wife from getting involved if she is handy at all. Have her just add a few shovels,(sprinkled across the fire) when she notices the coal getting white/ashen looking on top. Shaking down is about the biggest deal you do with a hand fired & I suggest just one of you do it until very comfortable with it. With someone around to add coal occasionally, you should be able to shake it down once a day with no problem.
What temp are you keeping the stove at?

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:09 pm

The pipe about 8" up around 200 degrees. Where on the stove itself should I measure it? Chris

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:12 pm

zeeklu wrote:The pipe about 8" up around 200 degrees. Where on the stove itself should I measure it? Chris
That's fine & at 200*, with a full stove , you should have no problem getting it to last all day until you get home. Just have the Mrs. sprinkle coal for now & you'll be fine.

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks .You have Definitely taught me alot so far. Chris

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 8:19 pm

You're welcome Chris....Tell the wife NO POKING!!! :lol:

zeeklu

Post by zeeklu » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 6:31 pm

One more question. I was checking stove temp this morning and noticed the side temps were about 100* higher under the side covers of the stove. I removed them and noticed the upper side air inlets don't close all the way with the side covers on . I marked them with chalk but wondered if it would do any good to close them all the way? Chris

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 6:48 pm

zeeklu wrote:I was checking stove temp this morning and noticed the side temps were about 100* higher under the side covers of the stove. I removed them and noticed the upper side air inlets don't close all the way with the side covers on . I marked them with chalk but wondered if it would do any good to close them all the way? Chris
Those sheet metal sides are meant to allow you to install the stove closer to combustible surfaces (walls) than without them. If you remove them you should maintain a 36" buffer between the TLC & combustible walls. They are open at the top & bottom to allow for air movement & act like little chimneys, venting warm air out the top. I would just leave them alone.

Edit missed this: ..."and noticed the upper side air inlets don't close all the way with the side covers on . I marked them with chalk but wondered if it would do any good to close them all the way? "....

I've never had my side covers off but they may be left a bit open to allow for a small amount of secondary air in above the coal bed. I'd leave them alone too.
Put the side covers back on & go make yourself a drink!! :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”