How Do You Set up Your VC Vigilant II? + Maintenance

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 2:10 pm

It's funny about the coal, the old stuff would idle at about 275 on warm days with the thermostat turned all the way down, this stuff is going to 200 or less all shut down, I think it will go out if I don't crack the air a little? I suppose something could have changed on my stove at the same time as the coal switch, but I can't find it? I checked all seals and gaskets, and nothing looks out of place. I am going to buy nut next time and see what happens.

Bob

SAU

Post by SAU » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 3:11 pm

The PRB coal idles at about 275. Now that we have some truly cold weather I'm am finding that if I set the thermostat right in the middle, the stove will run about 600 degrees. I'm back to shaking at least twice a day because when I let the stove burn out during an indian summer I found some clinkers.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 8:02 pm

When it gets cold, I shake down twice a day, maybe three when I'm really pushing it to the limit. Right now, it's been out for a day and the house is just going below 70. House has been too hot for me. Idle temps hag in mid 300s almost shut down. This coal has some BTU-s in it. It been hanging in the 50's outside and got up to the mid sixties each of the past few days. It's November :!: This restart will be my third and it will probably run from now on.
Last edited by VigIIPeaBurner on Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 8:25 pm

BobQ wrote:I was wondering, I thought I had seen some stoves with a thermostat controling air at the back, and then extra air holes and an ajustable blocking plate on the ash door? I thought my buddies Hitzer is that way? You are correct. HITZER has both.

Bob

jrjrr

Post by jrjrr » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post, though I have been reading this board for a while now. This is my first year burning coal since moving out of parents. I was given a Vigilant II and a half ton of coal by a friend at work. I am curious about a couple of the items in this post.

What is the restriction plate your are talking about.

Also, has anyone else tried stove coal in one of these stoves? I picked up 2 tons of nut yesterday and grabbed about 20lbs of the stove while I was there. It seemed to burn nice and hot without any problems.

Again, great site and thanks for any info,

Jim

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 4:05 pm

jrjrr wrote:.... What is the restriction plate your are talking about. ....
Jim
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. Check out this thread: Vigilant Coal Stove Model 2310? There's a picture posted on the sixth entry of the plate and a description of all the plates and their locations. To check for this plate, the fire should be out and stove empty. It's on the left side back of the stove under/behind the grates.

Since your stove, probably a model 2310, was given to you it was most likely used to burn coal already --- guessing here? If so, the plate might be out. If you're getting a good hot fire, it most likely is out. The Mfg. of the stove included a waring plate that was to be placed on the top of the ash pan door stating to burn anthracite only.

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Hey Jim, welcome, you came to the right place, the guys here have lots of info. I have the same stove as you and love it! I have been burning pea coal and doing well with it. The last ton I got will only heat up to 600 with the air open and damper closed. I am not sure if it is the coal or something on the stove changed, but next ton I am going to try nut. Get back on how the stove coal works. All in all the stove runs great!

Bob

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 8:42 pm

BobQ wrote:I was wondering, I thought I had seen some stoves with a thermostat controling air at the back, and then extra air holes and an ajustable blocking plate on the ash door? I thought my buddies Hitzer is that way?

Bob
That is the way my Hitzer 30-95 is set up. The owner's manual says the vents on the ash door are to be used only when starting the fire, then closed and left closed. All air intake should be through the draft hole in the back, which has a tin flap that opens and closed according to thermostat setting. The thermostat is exposed to both room and stove temperatures. Good but simple engineering. :)

jrjrr

Post by jrjrr » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 9:22 am

Thank you for the prompt replies. It seems each day I learn a little more about my stove and burning coal in general. It was a project stove when I got it, broken glass, broken door, no covers over the bottom clean outs and in need of re-gasketing.

The restrictor plate is removed. Jury rigged a couple of covers over the clean outs. Seems to burn good now.

I only picked up about 20lbs of stove coal, enough for 1 filling. It burned very well though. Seemed to light faster than the nut I was using and lasted just about as long. I think I will try to get some more when I get more coal and try it for a couple of days.

Also, are we allowed to post/ask about coal prices? I found a dealer near me that is about 30$ to 50$ cheaper per ton than anyone else, and will gladly let people know about him if I can.

Thanks,
Jim

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 10:55 am

jrjrr wrote:Also, are we allowed to post/ask about coal prices? I found a dealer near me that is about 30$ to 50$ cheaper per ton than anyone else, and will gladly let people know about him if I can.

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim, check out What's the Price for 1 Ton of Coal in Your Area? 2008-09 It's all about coal prices.

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Sun. Nov. 30, 2008 12:07 pm

One other thing I forgot to add, it burns wood great! I just set a few pieces on top of the coal.

Bob

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”