Need Advice for Using Old Woodbox

rovatune

Post by rovatune » Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm picking up a new Hitzer 354 tomorrow and have been tossing around ideas on ways to best use my old woodbox - see photo. It's a pretty good size - 40"H x 22"W x 30"D - so I was thinking about a mini coal bin.

I'll be burn Anthracite Nut but the stove is in a living area so I was wondering if dust will be a problem. I could just keep a big bucket there but I'd like to take advantage of the space and also have it look OK.

Thanks for any ideas.

Larry
woodstove2.jpg
.JPG | 60KB | woodstove2.jpg

Qball
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Qball » Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Loose coal would be messy and dusty. You could get a nice coal hod and leave that filled in there.....would look good.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 14, 2008 5:19 am

I don't think there's anything particularly attractive about coal. If this is an area that gets used allot, I would just leave some wood in there for visual effect. (It's not a big enough area to get much coal in anyway )

What you really need is a specific type of equipment to determine the use for that space...........what's that equipment called again???...........Oh right..........A WIFE!! :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 14, 2008 5:33 am

A keg of beer would fit in there nice. :D

The space is too small for anything other than placing containers of coal there. If you made it into a mini bin you're just creating more work for yourself and more importantly more dust evert time you fill it up. It's best to move the coal as little as possible.

rovatune

Post by rovatune » Tue. Oct. 14, 2008 9:12 am

I think I like Richard's advice, what looks better than a keg of beer.

I was thinking dust would be a problem. I'll keep a hod/scuttle? and empty ash pan there.

Thanks for the input.

Larry

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”