Metal Chimney Height ???

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Jack Magnum
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Post Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 5:07 am

I was just wondering what metal chimney heights TLC-2000 owners have in order to acheive good draft ? Toatal footage from stove pipe to the top of chimney. Thanks
Jack

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 8:16 am

I built my metal chimney from Lowes. It is 14' high 6" inside diameter. Although my house is only 1 story high, it gets plenty of draft. I must keep the damper completely closed or else the coal will burn up too fast.
I am a free man. Free men and women are not part of a collective, we are individuals.

The question isn’t who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me... Ayn Rand

Steve.N
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman mkII
Stove/Furnace Model: Axeman Anderson 260 at store
Location: Crown Point, NY East side of the state about 130 miles above Albany

Post Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 10:38 am

I installed one for a customer last year that is only about 10 ft above the top of the stove connected to a TLC-2000. I had reservations that there would not be enough draft but the customer didn't want to spend any more money. Single story manufactured house, pipe is about 3 ft above the roof line. Stove worked great last winter
Life without oil heat is sweet !

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Jack Magnum
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Post Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 3:22 pm

Steve,
I was wondering if I would have enough height. I have stove pipe that is only 17'' above collar of the stove and then it elbows and a couple ft section to the wall thimble. I was planning on putting up 15' of DWP above the tee and just wondering if that would be enough. I see from your posting that I probably will be O.K. Just would like to know what height everbody is running ? Thanks
jack

gambler
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Post Mon. Oct. 13, 2008 3:48 pm

I have 15ft of prefab chimney and 5ft of stove pipe that go straight up from my stove and through the ceiling and roof. I have always had a very good draft. In the winter time my baro is always open, many times almost fully open. Even in the warm weather if my stove comes off idle the baro will open some.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”