Crane Stove 404

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Mon. Apr. 23, 2012 2:33 am

I have no doubt that crane stoves have qualities and virtues.....
If you can produce parts, in todays market......
I think it would be a huge chalange, as the volumes are going to be small.
Maybe you need a spot in manufacturers corner, talk to the Mayor.
I would keep the pattern between you and the foundry, no sense in sending it around and getting it "lost". That was tried on a Manometer loaner program, search it if you dare.
I am also fortunate to have been able to work with my father and be proud of his work. This is truly an elite and blessed club, we belong to. :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Apr. 23, 2012 10:45 am

Yes I like the look of the Crane stoves. Just put as much fire bricks as you can to protect it and your done.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Apr. 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Larry was great guy and my father respected him and Rich Russo very much! they would only remember me as a teenager back in the day but maybe I will try to find a contact for Larry for some advice.

I can tell you that the grate system on the 404 was pretty advanced and expensive to make the beauty of it was that because the fingers were all independent and did not lie flat in a horizontal plan (like all other grates of the day) they outlasted all others! I do agree with the comments regarding there lack of ability to roll back and forth with movement of what we called the "cam shaft" on some of the castings (the cure for this if you wish.... remove all components of the grate system and use a grinder to smooth all the edges of the cam shaft that come into contact with the finger grates, then take each finger grate and use a grinder to smooth the parts that contact the cam shaft (basically your giving a machine finish to a cast iron part that never came out of the foundry in a consistent enough way) which is why some 404 grate systems would work better then others. If these parts had a machines finish (something way to costly to do by a Company view point) the system would work amazing (yes dad was indeed an MIT engineer). I personally used the 404 grate like a vibratory grate system instead of a sliding movement grate system like my dad designed it (if you take the shaker handle and simply wiggle it fast back and forth so as to create a "vibration" effect rather then attempting to force a sliding action you will have much better success).

ill keep trying to explain and assist Crane Stove owners as I see threads. Sincerely Doug Crane

CableGuy

Post by CableGuy » Wed. May. 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Hello is this the place to buy parts for a Crane? My stove looks like this one and I need to order the grate part nearest the handle on the side. I lost one during my last move and have a brick to block it but thats also blocking the shakeability.

Thank You

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. May. 01, 2013 5:29 pm

CableGuy wrote:Hello is this the place to buy parts for a Crane? My stove looks like this one and I need to order the grate part nearest the handle on the side. I lost one during my last move and have a brick to block it but thats also blocking the shakeability.

Thank You
did you take out the grate and firepot while moving it or something? I think your refering to whats called an "end plate", I have plenty of those and will PM your inbox for contact info, you can have one for free if you promise to find some way to help another on this forum someday ;)

CableGuy

Post by CableGuy » Thu. May. 02, 2013 6:47 am

I had removed the insides during the move to lift it easier and I think one of those end plates got left behind. I'm not sure if I can help anyone here unless they are installing cat5 or fiber optics but I will try.

Thank you for your generosity, Greg

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 02, 2013 7:27 am

CableGuy wrote:I had removed the insides during the move to lift it easier and I think one of those end plates got left behind. I'm not sure if I can help anyone here unless they are installing cat5 or fiber optics but I will try.

Thank you for your generosity, Greg
OMG... (i didn't see your name "Cable Guy") ...your the enemy! :mad: JK JK :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”