Consolidated Dutchwest Wood-Coal Stove

mainecoal

Post by mainecoal » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi,
I've acquired a 1990 vintage Consolidated Dutchwest, model FA224 CCL. It is the smaller of the three catalytic stoves and was designed to burn wood or coal. I bought it for supplimental heat and intended to use wood, but a couple of guys at work are coal burners and suggest I pursue the coal route. Is anyone out there familiar with this particular stove or combination wood-coal stoves in general? This stove does have 'shaker' grates, a 1.1 ft3 firebox and controllable air inlet by the ash pan for underfire air.

Thanks!!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 5:46 pm

I had a Dutchwest Federal coal stove for years. Can you post a few pics of it? Does it have 3 separate shaker grates with nut heads sticking out of the left side of the stove?

mainecoal

Post by mainecoal » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 5:56 pm

I believe so, at least 2 square lugs to attach the removable handles so you can rotate the grates. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow. I've also been told that you need an additional plate or plates which form a sort of bin to contain the coal over the grate area. Sound familiar?

Thanks for your reply :)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 6:04 pm

If it's the same stove it was an "OK" stove but:

1. it did leak CO gas due to it being made of bolted together cast iron parts & not tight at all. Leaked air like a sieve.
2. Mine was very deep & hard to clean out
3. Shaker grate failed, fell down into the ash pan & jammed it with the ash door open & no way to close the door! (had to call the fire dept to help me empty out the burning coal!...Not a fun night!!

I bought mine used from a neighbor & burned it for about 7 years. Tuff stove to control well.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”