Stovepipe Direction

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
jotuler
Stove/Furnace Make: jotul 507
Stove/Furnace Model: Harmon mark II

Post Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 10:36 am

I was setting my stovepipe in a new installation (harmon mark II) when a pang of doubt made me stop what I was doing. I know that when installing a woodstove the male end of the stove pipe should point toward the stove so that any condensate will run toward the stove without leaking. But I faintly recall that with a coalstove the male end of the stovepipe is reversed to help contain gasses and because condensate is not the problem it is with with wood. Is this the case or did I attend too many Dead concerts in the 60's?
Jotuler
"The only time you can coast in life is when you are going down hill." A. Roger Merrill

Blackdiamonddoug
Stove/Furnace Make: axemen 260 rebuilt by Matt
Stove/Furnace Model: stoker AA 260

Post Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 11:36 am

female side of pipe attaches to the stove
Think of the stove as having male gender
last connection to flue pipe is male
flue is female gender
BDD

jotuler
Stove/Furnace Make: jotul 507
Stove/Furnace Model: Harmon mark II

Post Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Gotcha thanks BDD
jotuler
"The only time you can coast in life is when you are going down hill." A. Roger Merrill

Visit Hitzer Stoves

SemperFi
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: H.F. hopper 90k btu

Post Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 7:49 pm

Blackdiamondoug, I just went and looked at my stove and it appears to be a female stove :shock:
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 8:19 pm

Can you burn wood in your Harman? If so, maybe that is why it is female. With coal, it doesn't matter which way the pipe goes. With wood, creosote will run from the joints if the male end is going up to the thimble.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite Coal”