Help Me Out Here, Guys...

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Sep. 19, 2008 7:34 pm

I would say at least 25%-maybe 50% of the forum members have second-hand stoves.. Most coal stoves are made very heavy-duty,, it takes a lot to damage them, much less to damage them to the point that they can't be repaired or rebuilt to new standards.

I personally like a stoker, I like not needing to be on a loading/ashpan schedule.. But if your life is orderly, and you can make the stove tending chores part of your routine, then a hand fired stove may be the easiest way for you..

Greg L

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 8:12 am

That Penn stove looks like it would be a nice little heater.

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 9:30 am

Good luck with the coal stove hunting. I think with a little common sence you can get a good safe used stove that can heat a 1500 sf ranch with no effort at all. I have used batch fired stoves for allmost 30 years now and this year have just steped up to a hand hopper fed, big advancement for myself. I like the idea of lights out operation and silent running, watching the blue ladies dance is pleasing as well. As far as hand fired stoves being alot of work, I figure over the past 30 plus years I have moved around 120 tons of coal all through a hand fed stoves and honestly enjoyed most of it. I find tending the stove to be rewarding not a chore.

mom-hfa

Post by mom-hfa » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 5:44 am

This is how I feel also...I can't imagine adding a bag in the morning and a bag at night being a huge crisis, but if the electricity goes out I want to know I can still heat my house, which means going hand-fired.

I will check out all of these links and post back later, after I've actually slept!

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 9:31 am

AH, to actually be AT HOME each morning and night.. SIGH.. not my life..

A small hand fed stove would plenty for your home, the two stoves suggested would do the job.

BUT, if you run across a reasonably priced stoker, buy it, you can 'get by' for this winter with a stoker, and sell next spring or fall.

Greg L.

mom-hfa

Post by mom-hfa » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Is there a way to manually light the stokers in case of power outage? For example, if I set my thermostat high and my electric-ignition gas goes out, I can light the pilot by hand and we will get heat until the thermostat registers the correct temp and goes out again.

Does it work similarly with a stoker?

If I get the little pot-belly unit like the ones on craigslist, does it make more sense to pay a heating guy to vent it through the chimney flue with modifications or straight outside through the siding just above the [poured concrete] foundation? Also, do the tops of those little guys get hot enough to cook on if need be?

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 4:17 pm

another way to deal with a power outage is keep a small emergency generator to run the stove , freezer/refrig and a couple of lights . 8hp 5000 watts should do it.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 7:52 pm

syncmaster wrote:another way to deal with a power outage is keep a small emergency generator to run the stove , freezer/refrig and a couple of lights . 8hp 5000 watts should do it.
Problem with those small generators is they wont run very long if the power outage drags on for more than just a few hours.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 7:56 pm

A generator will run as long as you can keep putting fuel in the tank and keep oil in the crankcase.. I've run mine for over a week.

Greg L

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 8:57 pm

mom-hfa wrote: I want something off-the-grid. When the apocalypse or armageddon strike, I want to know we can survive without electricity and battery back-up will only go so far. Stocking up on guns, ammo and home pressure canning gear. I'm even considering an old-fashioned coal stovetop/oven for cooking. (Yes, I will try to remember my tin foil hat also).
)
Nothing wrong with being prepared. I have been doing the same thing.

I have a hand fired Harman Mark II and it really isn't all that much work. Just check it in the morning, day and right before bed. No big deal really.

BTW-- you can always buy the little gate/fence type barrier thing for your son. better safe than sorry. they have them at just about any stove shop.

mom-hfa

Post by mom-hfa » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 2:25 am

How about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Coal-Stove_W0QQitemZ1 ... 011.c0.m14

How much do you pay for coal right now?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 8:17 am

mom-hfa wrote: Also, do the tops of those little guys get hot enough to cook on if need be?
The top of our Mark III is hot enough to cook on. We did that for about a week around 10 years ago. A couple ice storms knocked out power for about that long. We regularly boil off water in a crock on top of our stove through the winter.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 11:02 am

Mom, you don't want a cook stove for regular heating,, you want a coal stove, like a Harman Mark II or III, or maybe a Hitzer stove, a Keystoker.

The ebay item you asked about is not what you want, it is not meant for burning anthracite 24/7,

Take a look at these sites.

http://www.harmanstoves.com
http://www.hitzer.com
http://www.keystoker.com
http://www.bakerstoves.com

I'm sure there are plenty more.. take a look at the 'favorite's forum' on the 'photos of your stove' topic,, you can see what most units look like.

Greg L.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 12:11 pm

The old "kitchen cook stoves", were all that heated some homes in days gone by. Typically, any of the house, which could be closed off, due to non-necessity, wasn't heated and the family pretty much lived the winter in the kitchen. We might have to get back to those ways, ..... along with a garden, a cow in the barn and chickens in the yard. ... and a horse to get about :!:

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Wow.....license-to-carry, cleans & cooks fish streamside......and wants to burn coal.....you're a keeper...... :rambo3:
Welcome to the group....most of these guys are very helpful and willing to do so....I know I learned a lot in a couple months and I had a hand fired coal stove 20 years ago.
Just remember....most people who buy a drill don't really want a drill...they want a hole....these guys will help you get what you want...consistent heat at a very reasonable cost from a stove that fits your situation.
T

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”