Help Me Out Here, Guys...

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 3:19 pm

LsFarm wrote:Mom, you don't want a cook stove for regular heating,, you want a coal stove, like a Harman Mark II or III, or maybe a Hitzer stove, a Keystoker.

The ebay item you asked about is not what you want, it is not meant for burning anthracite 24/7,

Take a look at these sites.

http://www.harmanstoves.com
http://www.hitzer.com
http://www.keystoker.com
http://www.bakerstoves.com

I'm sure there are plenty more.. take a look at the 'favorite's forum' on the 'photos of your stove' topic,, you can see what most units look like.

Greg L.
Greg if you read her post she is looking for a coal fired cooktop stove / oven That is what is on The Ebay link and of course they where made to burn Anthracite 24/7 365 days a year Every house that was built before the 40s had one in it around here in coal country that is how you cooked your food my grandparents & great grandparents on both sides of the family used them My grandmother used hers until the late 80s right up until she died she was 97 You always keep the fire going and dumped the ash out every other day there is nothing like cooking on one and eating the food that you made on
it alot of them had a bread warmer on the back shevle the baked pies where the best and they do throw off alot of heat the first floor on her house had three rooms that stove keep all off them very warm There are built out of cast iron very heavy more then any hand fed stove made today They where made to burn coal some had half coal and gas & wood & coal even coal & electric

Lots of very nice ones on these links

http://stovehospital.com/

http://www.barnstablestove.com/index.htm

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Last edited by coal berner on Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Jay, yes but she wants a house heater to cook on, not a cook stove to heat the house.

Those old cook stoves took management, someone was allways around to fuss with it.. and like said above , the house was closed off to reduce the heated area, and everyone lived around the stove..And you could easily overfire those old cookstoves, like I said, they took management..

We both know she will be a lot better off with a modern hand fired coal stove, with good shaker grates and firebrick, that you can load and leave for 12+ hours,, like your Gibraltar. You wouldn't replace your Gibraltar with that cook stove on ebay would you??

Cook stove, for cooking, coal stove for heating. You can if you need to make chili or stew on the coal stove.. that is what she was asking.
Quote:If I get the little pot-belly unit like the ones on craigslist, does it make more sense to pay a heating guy to vent it through the chimney flue with modifications or straight outside through the siding just above the [poured concrete] foundation? Also, do the tops of those little guys get hot enough to cook on if need be? unquote.

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 5:23 pm

First thing Greg I know all about what it takes to use a coal fired cook stovetop /oven Like I said both of my grandmother's had and used them & I spent alot of time over at there house's who do you think went down to the coal bin and filled the buckets up with coal and took the ashes out look at what she wrote There is a big differents between
a Coal stove and a Old fashioned coal stovetop/ oven for cooking

I'm even considering an old-fashioned coal stovetop/oven for cooking. (Yes, I will try to remember my tin foil hat also).

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 5:35 pm

LsFarm wrote:Hi Jay, yes but she wants a house heater to cook on, not a cook stove to heat the house.

Those old cook stoves took management, someone was allways around to fuss with it.. and like said above , the house was closed off to reduce the heated area, and everyone lived around the stove..And you could easily overfire those old cookstoves, like I said, they took management..

We both know she will be a lot better off with a modern hand fired coal stove, with good shaker grates and firebrick, that you can load and leave for 12+ hours,, like your Gibraltar. You wouldn't replace your Gibraltar with that cook stove on ebay would you??

Cook stove, for cooking, coal stove for heating. You can if you need to make chili or stew on the coal stove.. that is what she was asking.
Quote:If I get the little pot-belly unit like the ones on craigslist, does it make more sense to pay a heating guy to vent it through the chimney flue with modifications or straight outside through the siding just above the [poured concrete] foundation? Also, do the tops of those little guys get hot enough to cook on if need be? unquote.

Greg L

Well if I only got 12+ hours out of my stove Yes I would buy one like she listed that would go for any hand fed stove that only burned for 12 hours The coal cooktop stove/oven will burn alot longer then 12 hours If every used one you would
know that when you come up I will take you to a house that still as one in use I am thinking about putting one of them back in my kitchen

mom-hfa

Post by mom-hfa » Wed. Sep. 24, 2008 2:47 am

LsFarm wrote:We both know she will be a lot better off with a modern hand fired coal stove, with good shaker grates and firebrick, that you can load and leave for 12+ hours,, like your Gibraltar. You wouldn't replace your Gibraltar with that cook stove on ebay would you??

Greg L

Well, I could babysit the kitchen stove but it would mean less time shooting and cleaning fish. ;) I worry that my joists are not up to the task of supporting a stove of that magnitude and I don't really feel like tearing out the ceiling, sistering them all up and drywalling overhead just for that purpose. I am looking to pop a nice little pot-belly or other hand-fired stove as a piggy-back to our current heating system, especially if the surface of said stove gets hot enough to cook on during power outages or in a pinch. I worry about a fire, not so much about CO as we already have detectors upstairs and down. If a kitchen stove *could* be tied into the duct work the same way, I'd consider putting it down in the basement and using it to cook when needed also, but cooking is secondary (for now) to cheaper heat. Not having a garage or a bulkhead, so is figuring out how the heck to store the coal for the winter and get it easily into the basement. I'm concentrating on getting the best unit without getting ripped off because I'm a girl. :o

Ideally, we'd sell this house, move to a cheap vast expanse of a family farm on the side of a secluded mountain somewhere with the kiddies and live off of the land, off-grid where the politicians are too far away to smell. However, I would be very sad to give up my DSL and laptop. What a dilemma, eh?

Okay, boys...back on-topic...how best to vent the beast? Over the foundation through the siding? Pot belly can still be tied into the existing ductwork, yes?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Sep. 24, 2008 4:41 pm

quote: However, I would be very sad to give up my DSL and laptop. What a dilemma, eh? unquote.

Look into sprint, Verizion and other wireless internet.. if you are going off grid, you don't need to be out of touch with the world.

Hope you find a nice small supplemental heater..

You can transport coal from outside into the house in 5 gallon pails..

Greg L

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Hey Folks
Did the 5 gallon pail haul by the pickup load for a spell.
Also cant get DSl or cable but I love my SPRINT Air card!!!! Cant see why everyone was so upset about that damn cell tower anyhow. I think its a "god-send" :D
PS : Did you check out the stoves I put a link to in Mass area? PennStove looked like a nice unit .

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Take a look at these sites.

http://www.harmanstoves.com
http://www.hitzer.com
http://www.keystoker.com
http://www.bakerstoves.com

Greg or any one else,

I was looking at these sites and noticed the door handles on the right side of the door.
When did stoves start having the handle on the right side of the door and why the change?
As far as I know stoves have never had handles on the right till lately (except Franklin stoves with side by side doors etc.)and for me it would take a lot of getting used to. Just makes sense to grab with the right hand to open a stove but maybe that's because I've done it all my life that way.
Sorry for off topic but just curious.

Brett

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm even considering an old-fashioned coal stovetop/oven for cooking
Have you spoken to your wife about that yet? Don't forget I have first dibs on that stove in your kitchen if you make the switch!

mom-hfa

Post by mom-hfa » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 2:57 am

I AM the wife. :o

Added: I have an ancient gas Caloric stove that is a little temperamental...you can have it. ;)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 6:50 am

Sorry, Mom-HFA, I thought that quote was from Coal Berner, I didn't realize he was quoting your post. I could just see him moving out the late 1950's chrome laden stove out of the kitchen and replacing it with a coal burner like the one I have.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 10:11 am

Wood ncoal / John you will have to take a Number on the 1958 FRIGIDAIRE Custom Inperial The guy I get parts for it
wants it Bad he offered me 1800 three years ago for it He is still trying to get me a Thermostat for the right side oven
every time I call him he want to know if I am ready to sell it I will Keep you in mind I am trying to talk the wife in letting
me Put in the coal fired Kitchen stove Not going so well I might hook it up in the basement we will see

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 8:08 pm

So how much is my Andes stove worth to you???

Stoker or Hand Fed, Which Do You Use? (scroll down).

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Well John unless it is free It is worth that much to me because I know where there are 3 coal kitchen stove /oven sitting waiting for me to pick them up for Free so right now I am not looking for anymore ;)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 01, 2008 9:48 pm

When you going to get them??

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”