Hitzer 503 Installation Photos

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Part of me is mad that I spent more money than I could have, but I'm just glad that I have a coal stove for this winter. Many, many folks won't get theirs until Spring. I have a friend who is putting $1,000 down on an Alaska stoker this week and won't get it until at least March 2009.
Jafadog....really nice setup on your 503. I was as lucky as you and got mine this year...just waiting for the installation at the end of Oct...(yea they're that busy with installs & chimney cleaning). I was also concerned how far the 503 sticks out from the hearth but I think I'll be OK. Mine will be going into the dining room fireplace to replace the propane Heatilator.
I paid just under 2k for the 503 and another 2k for the removal of the heatilator & gas line, installation of the 503 including a foreverflex heavy 316 SS liner (30+ ') with cap...topplate....and insulation.
I reclaimed the coal bin in the basement from storage use & I'll order 5 ton of nut as soon as the installation is complete. I'd do it sooner but I'm being overly cautious to be sure there are no glitches with the install etc. (5 ton of nut and no place to burn it....not a good idea.... :x )
Quick ?? for you......What do they use to insulate or seal the shroud?
I'll post some pics in early Nov.
Thanks for your post & pics....nice job.
T

Attachments

P8311112.JPG
.JPG | 1.1MB | P8311112.JPG
P8311115.JPG
.JPG | 1.1MB | P8311115.JPG

JafaDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 Insert

Post by JafaDog » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Quick ?? for you......What do they use to insulate or seal the shroud?
It comes with yellowish fiberglass insulation that fits behind the shroud--looks like high-temp unfaced insulation--the normal stuff for fireplace doors/inserts. They actually used a little extra on mine to make sure there was a good seal between the mortar joints. That's it. Nothing special.

Looks like your hearth is pretty smooth. Make sure they use cardboard under the stove so it doesn't get all scratched up when sliding it in.

That's a nice big fireplace you've got. That 503 is going to be a perfect addition!

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks...actually it's all natural irregular stone & mortar. I just don't want caulk of any kind that may have to be removed later.
We're fortunate enough to have 2 fireplaces so that we can still have a wood burning FP in the LR....makes my wife very happy.....nuff said!

tfaath

Post by tfaath » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi JafaDog,

I need some help installing my 503 … I’m 90% complete, I’ve installed the 6 in SS liner in the chimney and connected it to the stove. I’m actually assisting a friend of mine that was an installer for some time.

The problem that we are facing is the surround …that screws onto the side of the unit. He (the installer) wants to cement the joints with a sealer. But in order to do that, the unit should be in its final place. If you do that, you can’t get to the screws to move the surround. What he’s uncomfortable doing is cementing the duct joints and then moving the stove.

It’s a catch 22 here. How did your installers handle the situation? Is there a trick we’re missing? Any advice would be helpful.

As soon as the installation is comple I hope to share some pictures and my experinece.

Tom

JafaDog

Post by JafaDog » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 5:12 pm

The problem that we are facing is the surround …that screws onto the side of the unit. He (the installer) wants to cement the joints with a sealer. But in order to do that, the unit should be in its final place. If you do that, you can’t get to the screws to move the surround. What he’s uncomfortable doing is cementing the duct joints and then moving the stove.

It’s a catch 22 here. How did your installers handle the situation? Is there a trick we’re missing? Any advice would be helpful.
My guys shoved the stove in to where it was going to be before attaching the surround. Then they took some measurements and determined where the surround needed to be adjusted to. They then bolted the side surround sections to the stove and then bolted the top surround section to the the side surround pieces. They placed the fiberglass insulation in the cavities behind all three surround sections and shoved the stove in until the surround was tight against the brick. They did not use any cement or sealant on the surround. I don't think there is any need to, provided there is enough fiberglass behind the surround to form a good seal. You could call Dean at Hitzer to be sure, but the installation manual makes no mention of having to use sealant. You just need to make sure the fiberglass seal is tight. In my case, they actually added a little more insulation behind the surround just to be sure. Not that there's anything wrong with being thorough and sealing the surround joints. It's just probably overkill unless you can't get a good seal with the fiberglass.
As soon as the installation is comple I hope to share some pictures and my experinece.
Sounds good! Everybody loves pictures!

tfaath

Post by tfaath » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi JafaDog,

The sealant was for the piping .. my guy pushes the joint’s together than screws them in place and then coats them with a Furnace Cement to ensure that the he has 100% good seals. He did not want to move the stove at all once the cement was in place. After reading your explanation, I’m sure that it’s over kill.

The installation has gone OK .. the SS liner (looks the same as yours) was a bit difficult to handle and get lined up to the stove. That part is now complete and we’re no more then an hour away from closing it up and calling it a day.

I will be posting pictures later, it’s been very interesting reading and looking at your installation. Good luck with your stove … sounds like you’re already enjoying the benefits.

Tom

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 10:22 am

Guys,

I got my 503 installed Friday - a local chimney sweep gave me a price for a ss liner and stove installation that was 50% cheaper than original quote for just a liner. I decided to have it installed by the pro therefore and be done - got a free sweep also and a warranty on parts and labor. I would have saved maybe 700 bucks by doing it myself so for the convenience and lack of back ache it was worth it. Amazing what a high I've been on since Friday as a result.

Photos attached of the finished product.

Next task is getting some Blaschak - my coal dealer in upper Westchester 20 miles away stocks it which is a bonus.

VB
IMG_5880.jpg

503-pic1

.JPG | 57.6KB | IMG_5880.jpg
IMG_5881.jpg

503-pic2

.JPG | 34.2KB | IMG_5881.jpg
IMG_5882.jpg

503-pic3

.JPG | 35.2KB | IMG_5882.jpg

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 12:30 pm

VB...
That's a nice looking hearth especially with the 503. My install will be similar to yours...ie not a raised hearth but floor level. Can't wait to hear about your first couple of fires. Smart to have a pro do the install...I'm not handy at all so I have no choice.
Again... :clap: congrats on a great looking hearth.....503s rock!! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
T

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 2:46 pm

hey T

many thanks for kind words - much appreciated. hope your install goes as well - best of luck with that. Yes indeed am looking forward to learning how to keep the beast burning and cranking out the BTUs. Last time I burnt coal was back in Ireland where open fires and filthy coal was the norm - this will be quite a treat in comparison.

Quite a few Hitzer 503 owners out there now - we can refer to ourselves as the Hitzer 503 'class of 2008'

One thing we did have to point out to our installer was that the unit is not meant to go flush into the hearth - he didn't realize the hopper was an accessible part ! Apart from that somewhat obvious oversight, he did a nice job. He also removed the ash trap in the hearth so am hoping some heat will radiate downward to the basement - probably a long shot but we'll see.

I also got a second ash pan from hitzer for 30~ bucks delivered

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 10:12 am

VB....
After looking closely at your pics, I called Hitzer with a question. I noticed the electric cord for the fans is at the lower left of the unit. I have electric service in my FP opening which services the propane Heatilator fan. I asked Hitzer if I could pull the elec cord back into the 503 unit and have it exit out the rear of the stove inside the FP. He said it's OK to do that and said all I need to do is drill a hole in the rear and pull the cord out so that none of the cord is exposed along the side of the 503. Not sure why, bit I never noticed that before looking at your setup.
I owe you a pint!! :cheers:
T

Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 11:47 am

Just wondering, isn't there a minimum hearth distance that has to be in front of the door? 16 or 18 inches, something like that? Do they reference anything like that in the manual?

Also, can you get the ash pan out without touching your wood floors?

-- MW

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Mike.....I really don't know the answer but I'm not aware of any hearths that extend much more than what we see in the pics. I will be placing a fireproof or at least fire resistant hearth rug just in front of my stone hearth which will cover the hardwood floor. That should give some protection.
T

JafaDog

Post by JafaDog » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 1:04 pm

Clearances are shown in the 503 manual. 16" of non-combustible material is required in front of the stove. I plan on getting an 18" hearth extension to cover this (we have a fiberglass hearth rug right now, but I'm not 100% comfortable with that). We might actually buy a cut piece of bluestone about 1" thick to put there. That should go okay with the brick and also with cultured stone if/when we reface the fireplace.

VanBuren

Post by VanBuren » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 5:11 pm

T,

that's interesting on the electrical cord. I hadn't though about it but you're right if it were on the other side and no elec outlet it would be awkward. I can't see how running it inside the stove won't melt the cable - the ash pan will be very close to that. I'm sure Hitzer know what they are talking about so let us know how you make out once you make the change. Glad the photo was of use - 2nd round of beer will be on me then.

Speaking of electicity, has anyone ever seen/used a fan like this (EcoFan)- it doesn't actually need electricity from AC - pretty cool/'hot' idea if it performs well. Good for power outage and indeed to lower elec consumption

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Woodstove-Corner/Ac ... n-Original

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Tue. Sep. 23, 2008 6:09 pm

VB.....
At Hitzer they told me that the wire can be pulled into the unit in the area where the cooler air enters. I'll call another time just to be sure. There must be other wires since both the left & right fans work off the same switch. I'll let you know.
T

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”