How to Seal Stovepipe Joints?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 2:58 pm

LsFarm wrote:Devil and Dallas,, so how do you handle this type of weather? Stay up all night and baby sit the stove,, or ignore it and go back to sleep?? Without a barometric damper, your hand feed stove would overheat, and or burn up all it's fuel in record time.
Covered this in another thread Greg but I have never noticed the slightest difference, either with or without a barometric damper. I had one years ago & it never seemed to do a thing. My house is on a cul-de-sac which is in a natural bowl, so I am pretty well protected from the wind. Maybe that's the reason that I never saw a difference?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:34 pm

Everybody says I don't NEED to seal the joints. You don't understand! I WANT to seal them to satisfy my obsessive-compulsive personality. Truth be told, I think my chimney is OK but not great, and I was hoping that sealing the gaps would boost its performance a little. I have no problem at all with downdrafts, but with the baro set at .08 I rarely see it move except in high or gusty winds, which says to me that .07 or .08 is the maximum it will draw under average conditions. Seems like it should be able to do better than that. Now that you mention it, the baro itself seems to be the biggest leak in the system -- even when closed I'm surprised at the loose fit of the flapper around its edges.

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Here is a link to another thread about sealing the black chimney pipe:
Sealing Black Chimney Pipe Joint Connecions

There is a black latex sealer that is good for 800 degrees.
Also it seals but is not a adhesive so the pipes can be taken apart.

here is a big tube of it :

here is a small tube of it ;
Last edited by syncmaster on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removred dead links>

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks, syncmaster, that looks like exactly what I want.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 8:42 pm

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 8:54 pm

That Hi temp RTV on amazon.com is only good to 550* and I think it is also a adhesive so You won't be able to get the pipes apart for cleaning.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Can anyone explain to me how a barometric damper works and why would I need one on the Clayton 1600M coal furnace I recently installed?

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Tue. Sep. 16, 2008 10:02 pm

This is the company that makes the premium stove pipe that is a welded seam and just slides together

Heat Fab Inc
130 Industrial Blvd
Turners Falls, MA , 01376-1607
Phone: 413-863-2242
FAX: 413-863-4803

Saf-T Pipe is heavy-duty stove pipe system. It is designed for use with residential or commercial coal- and wood-burning units, and is intended for interior use as a connector pipe.

Fabricated from 22-gauge cold rolled steel, Saf-T Pipe is one of the thickest and most durable stove pipes available on the market. It is also one of the safest and most reliable. Featuring 100% Laser or Advanced resistance-welded seams, Saf-T Pipe holds together in the event of overheating. The welded seams also assure the pipes roundness, making installation a breeze.

* Heavy-duty construction Saf-T Pipe is fabricated from 22-gauge cold roll steel. Up to 60% thicker than most hardware store brands
* Laser and Advanced Resistance-welded seams makes snap together pipe obsolete. Guarantees a completely sealed seam: no smoke or flue leakage
* Full range of parts and sizes comes in the sizes you need
* Beaded for furnace cement
* Black high-temperature, low-luster finish painted with the highest quality silicone based stove paint
* Individually wrapped and packaged.
* Readily available at Hearth Products specialty shops and from professional installers.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 12:48 am

Hi JohnM, welcome to the forum.. go to this thread, it is all about barometric dampers.. this thread is [mostly] about sealing flue pipe joints

Greg L.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”