Help With a Harman!

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 7:10 pm

A co worker recently sold a Harman SF250 to another co worker for $100.00. Now that co worker is leaning towards an outside wood furnace and is considering selling it to me for my first new home for $300.00 which ill gladly play. Neither of us know much about stoves. The original owner said the grates are warped and need to be replaced. Can anyone help with how much this would cost or even if the parts would be available. Also what else should be looked into when buying a new stove. I don't want to buy something that will end up costing more than its worth in the long run. Thanks!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Hello and welcome. The SF250 is a very capable heater,, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The grates are replaceable and available.. the stove costs in excess of $2000, so you have a good deal there. http://www.harmanstoves.com

If the grates are warped, it is usually caused by not keeping the ash pan emptied, which allows the ashes to build up deep enough that they touch and fill the grates. Without fresh air flowing from the ashpan area through the grates, they can overheat..

Using the shaker handle, move the grates back and forth if you can rock them about 1" each way without them jamming against each other, then they will probably work fine for coal.

New grates should be available from Harman. Call your local Harman dealer for a price and availability..

If the stove has been badly overheated, you may have some warped pieces, and this may be a problem or not. As long as the doors open and close, and everything fits, it should be OK.

The SF 250 has a built in heat exchanger, you need to remove the inspection cover and clean it out.

Hope this helps.. Greg L

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for help Greg. Yes it does.

garyk2303

Post by garyk2303 » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 11:49 am

I would try Harman for replacement grates. I recently ordered a new top baffle for my Elite insert from a Harman dealer. I got the plate from Harman for $60.00 had it welded in and now it is ready to go. Oh as far as why it burned through, I would say it was operator error, from overheating. I had new grates made for my stove from a local friend that works at a foundry.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Bargain central! :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek2:

If the grates cost $1000, you'd still be ahead of the game! 8-) Congrats on the great deal! :up:

As I was reading that the guy bought the stove for $100, I thought you were going to say the seller took it back........ because he realized he ROYALLY F**ED up the price!! :funny:

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 4:51 am

Just to give you guys an update I'm at work now and will be taking to the stove Saturday morning for $250 which is what the co worker figures he has in it with gas hauling it home, back and paint. From what he said the grates still function normally but are just a little wider from warpage than normal. Ill post some pics after I get it home this weekend.

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Just a suggestion- if the stove was painted, you may want to fire it up once outside/ inside with many windows open to cure the paint and burn off dust & dirt, etc.

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 10:55 am

Heres an update and change guys. Need your help. The stove (which is in his truck now, were at work) is a SF-150 built 1981 not a 250. The two most rear grates are pretty warped. the other 3 don't look so bad. the gasket for the door is rough shape and I don't see a blower, was it an option. Im concerned that it to small. Anyone know the BTU of this stove. is $250 still a good deal? the living space I need to hear is 1175 but the stove will be in the unfished basement. how will I get the hear upstairs? ne help or advice!?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:03 am

Dmelia1 wrote:From what he said the grates still function normally but are just a little wider from warpage than normal.
Grind the edges of the grates where they clear the saddle, about 1/4" minimum clearance should do it. They just need to swing freely with no binding. I have been running warped grates for about 10 years, just keep them freed up and they should work OK.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:04 am

Yes, it is still a bargain. the SF150 is just 4" narrower than the SF250. There are several SF150 owner/operators on the forum.. they all like their Harmans.

If the grates are so warped that you think the shaking motion, or their ability to hold the coal is compromised, then order some grates from your local Harman dealer..

Maybe someone has a source for grates other than Harman??? I don't know..

Maybe one of the owners of the SF 150 and SF250 will post a photo and a part/model number for the fan. You can adapt just about any fan if you are handy..

That's a good find.. You will get plenty of heat from it.

Go the the 'Venting, chimneys etc' forum and read some of the many threads about distribution of heat.. there is lots of info to read.

Greg L.

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks so much guys! One last question. Again im totally new to this. What should I look for in the stove as far as firebricks and such? just want to make sure its not going to burn my new house down!

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:45 am

Hi guys. Just purchased a Harman SF-150 and need some help with finding a blower and grates. The two most rear grates are pretty warped and the blower in MIA. Anyone know where I could find these used or new other than harman?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:46 am

The firebrick are standard size, you can buy them at any brick /masonry wholesaler/retailer. about buck apiece.. The rope seals around the doors are standard, available at any wood/coal stove store, or many hardware stores.

Do a search on this site for ' SF150 ' I seem to remember a post about the differences between the SF 150, SF250, and the rare SF350.

Greg L.

Dmelia1

Post by Dmelia1 » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks Greg!

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sat. Sep. 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Dmelia1 wrote:Hi guys. Just purchased a Harman SF-150 and need some help with finding a blower and grates. The two most rear grates are pretty warped and the blower in MIA. Anyone know where I could find these used or new other than harman?

Dmelia1 you got a good deal! Here is the manual for the SF150, SF250 maybe it will answer some questions for you. ;)

Attachments

Harman sf-150-250m.pdf
.PDF | 919.4KB | Harman sf-150-250m.pdf

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”