Harman Mark III

rouxzy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post by rouxzy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 5:18 pm

Just ordered a Harman Mark III. It won't be in until the end of March so I'm really planning on it for next season. Any of you out there with this make and model have any words of wisdom for me. Such as which size coal works best? I'll be ordering my coal for next season and want to make sure I get the best possible size.
Tom

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 5:27 pm

Either Nut or Pea. Depends on your preference. The nut will produce more more heat at the moment and burn easier....but faster. The pea is more contolaable which if your in a very windy area might be better.

I have one customer who purchased range which is a nut pea mixture for the beggining of the season because he could cotrol it better and just nut at the beggining of December so he could fire it up more. You can probably achieve the same amount of heat output with both but it will take you longer with the pea.

I always suggest to customer that are new to burning coal to get a few bags and try each out and see what they prefer

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 6:47 pm

I used a MarkIII for 3 years and currently I am using the SF-250. Both units have the same grate sizes and configuration.. I am referring to the space between and type of grate. Obviously the fireboxes are not identical in size.

The last load of coal I bought locally is listed as nut but I would consider it range as there are many small pea size chips mixed in. I do not like it. I have a very difficult time shaking down the ash. I lose too much unburnt coal and small hot coals as it falls between the grates. It has been quite frustrating this past 2 weeks. I refused to purchase from this dealer twice so far this season for this reason but gave in last w/e. After today, I have decided I will not go back to the same guy. I know of a dealer with true chestnut size coal just a little further away.

What I do not understand ( maybe coalman can answer ), both dealers buy from the same source in Hazelton. Coalman, I am sure you know of the source.

Pap
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi Tom, I bought a Harman Mark III last November. This is my first year burning coal and I am more than happy with my stove. I had problems getting it to burn slow on the warm days we had this year. I was burning nut coal in it and when I would turn the draft down so it wasn't so hot in the house the fire wanted to go out.

I posted a message here and the Coal Man told me to try burning pea coal. It was time to get more coal (Don't have a bin yet and only get 1/2 ton at a time) so I got pea coal and have been using it since. I can burn the stove real slow with pea coal and the fire won't go out. I am sure you will be happy with your stove. Hang out here and you will learn alot. Great bunch of guys here.

Pap

rouxzy

Post by rouxzy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks for the replys. This is not my first time burning coal it will just be my first time burning with the Harman Mark III. I once had a Rite way model 37 for years. Recently I started burning again with stove that was given to me this season. It is a Surdiac Gothic. It is small and I've pretty much burnt it up trying to heat my whole house with it. I burnt nut and pea in it this winter. Pap, have you tried burning a mixture of the nut and pea coal together in yours?
Tom

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 8:54 pm

Cap wrote:
What I do not understand ( maybe coalman can answer ), both dealers buy from the same source in Hazelton. Coalman, I am sure you know of the source.
Actually I'm not familiar with any of the business's down that way. There's always going to be some amount of pea in the nut. Consistency in sizing varies by breaker, where I'm getting it the uniformity borders on the ridiculous. That's one of the comments I get from new customers.

Pap
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Pap, have you tried burning a mixture of the nut and pea coal together in yours?
No I haven't tried that yet. The Coalman said that mixture is called Range coal. I have thought about mixing some to try but haven't done it yet.

Pap

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Coalman wrote:
Actually I'm not familiar with any of the business's down that way.
Dealers down this way go north toward Hazelton to buy inventory. I'm told Jetto

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Well I'm familair with Jeddo, not any particular dealers though. It's my understanding they have a outstanding product. Not feasible for me as that would entail a extra 2 - 3 hours per trip which is unrealistic no matter what the quality is.

endinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Margin Gem Cook Stove and Harman Mark III

Post by endinmaine » Sat. Mar. 04, 2006 10:04 am

Tom,

I received my Mark III the end of Dec/05 and have been using Nut in it since ,, but I believe it is more Range with a mix of Nut/Pea. I also have found it some what difficult to shake down. I bought a few bags of Stove and used it with the Nut and the stove ran better and was easier to shake down. My draft is a little weak because the chimney is too short at 14 feet. The new house I am building will have a 30+ foot center chimney.

Eric

rouxzy

Post by rouxzy » Sat. Mar. 04, 2006 11:40 am

What size is stove coal in relationship to nut and pea?
Tom

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Roughly a little samller than the size of a softball.

Oldsoul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy mark 2 & 3, previously vermont castings vigilant
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Oldsoul » Thu. Dec. 28, 2023 7:08 pm

20231209_080947.jpg
.JPG | 459.3KB | 20231209_080947.jpg
20230225_111209.jpg
.JPG | 415.4KB | 20230225_111209.jpg
20221222_105636.jpg
.JPG | 146.2KB | 20221222_105636.jpg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 28, 2023 7:59 pm

Nice! Makes me warm just looking at those blue ladies.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Dec. 29, 2023 8:46 am

I have a harman for 30 years indestructible . only caution is dont stir the ashes as it will develop klinkers that will lodge between your grates.
dont shake the grates so they open real wide, as a piece of nut may get jammed . just wiggle the shaker . practice with no coal on to see how wide the shake will make the grate spacing.
if you load up the coal heave on a low fire dont open the door suddenly as you'll get a back fire . it depends on your draft and rate of fire.
I always used nut
i have a 30 ft chimney that in the center of the house very high draft.

Highly recommend mine is painted white with brass door

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”