Daughter Ripped Off?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 8:59 pm

My daughter & son-in-law recently purchased a Harman TLC 2000 which was delivered Saturday, with no door for an $80.00 delivery charge. The delivery driver told her that they forgot the door. Today she called to find out when she could expect delivery of the door & was told that the door was not part of the stove & would require an additional $180.00! After a bit of a discussion the manager reduced the door price to $120.0 due to the mix up. My daughter is not bashful wallflower, (as you would expect) but agreed to pay when the door is delivered.
I own a Harman TL C2000 & know that a gold door is an option but the black door should be standard. What good is the stove without a door? I recommended that she do one of two things:

1. Call them back tomorrow & tell them that she wants a door delivered by 5:00PM at no additional charge, or she will contact her credit card company (she paid $1600.00 for the stove by credit card) & tell them she was defrauded & to refuse to pay the $1600.00

2. Not even bother to call the stove dealer back, but to just dispute the $1600.0 charge with her credit card company & buy a door from another Harman dealer.

First: Do you agree that it appears that she was ripped off?

Second: How would you handle the situation?

I'd love to give out the name & address of the stove dealer in Dartmouth, Mass. but I don't want to cause any legal problems for Richard. (if you happen to read this thread Richard & don't have a problem with me naming names,

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Devil505 on Tue. Sep. 09, 2008 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:08 pm

If the stoves are pictured on the web sites and brochures with doors, then they should have doors! I've never heard of a stove with "no door at all". Can you find any other customer, who you can confirm the policy with?

I'll bet somebody had a broken glass, so the door was "misappropriated:!
Last edited by Dallas on Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:14 pm

From the Harman site:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
"The Stove
Doors
Your stove has a large glass-paneled door for loading
and fire viewing, a separate smaller door for removing
ashes and a top loading door. "

devon570

Post by devon570 » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:24 pm

YES I think she was rob no ripped of :mad: the stove has no use without a door its like buying a new car without a engine I would not pay extra for the door no door no stove fight the charges .

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Call some other Harman dealers and get a price on the same stove with a door that should tell you if you paid for the door or not.

siblay

Post by siblay » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:25 pm

I had called these guys months ago to check availability on a Mark I when word was getting out that Harman was backlogged. They gave me a quote very similar to any other dealer's price. I just happened to inquire about the brass door option and that is when I found out that the door was extra. The black door (which you would think is standard) was $180 and the brass package was in the mid $400s.
Ridiculous. I can just see it now.....a showroom full of stoves with no doors on them. They probably base this on the fact that when you buy a waterbed it doesn't get delivered with water in it!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Dallas wrote:If the stoves are pictured on the web sites and brochures with doors, then they should have doors! I've never heard of a stove with "no door at all". Can you find any other customer, who you can confirm the policy with?

I'll bet somebody had a broken glass, so the door was "misappropriated:!
Here's a link to the Harman site & the TLC2000

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Recently when I called my local Harman dealer to get a price on a new mark 1, They quoted me $1279.00. Then they said the gold door would be $300.00 and the black door would be $100.00. A smart dealer that was really familair with the products would say the stove is $1379.00 or $1579.00 if you want the gold door. Obviously the stove is no good without a door. I think they only break it down that way to show the added cost for the gold door. Wouldn't it be smarter to say the stove is 1379.00 and $200.00 extra for the gold door?

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Also, if you look at the options on the Harman site, there is no mention of doors, being optional. What a "low-life" outfit!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Razzler wrote:Call some other Harman dealers and get a price on the same stove with a door that should tell you if you paid for the door or not.
Already called American Energy Systems in New Bedford, Mass where I bought my stove. The owner (Rainee) is a great guy & told me that the door is shipped in a separate box from Harman, to the dealer. That Harman does charge a separate price to the dealer for the 2 different types of doors, but that he always includes the black door with any tsove & the gold door is an optional upgrade.

I'm going to call my daughter & recommend she go with my option 2! :mad:

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Thre dealer she bought it from should have told her the door was an extra charge or included it in her price. I would tell them to give me the door and suck up the loss. Next time they'll know how to quote a price to someone for a stove.

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:43 pm

What a scam. Tell her to tell them she will run it w/o the "optional" door and when it burns the house down she will see them in court.

SAU

Post by SAU » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:45 pm

I think the first option should be to call Harman directly then go to option #1. If you don't try to rectify the situation through the dealer the credit card company will frown.

I don't think Harman will be very happy with the dealer.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:48 pm

coalkirk wrote:I would tell them to give me the door and suck up the loss. Next time they'll know how to quote a price to someone for a stove.
She did that today Terry & they refused to give her a door unless she paid for it. (I happen to have a spare door/window assembly in case my window ever brakes again. I could give her my spare & just buy another from another Harman dealer. If it was me , I would just never contact them again, dispute the credit card charge as fraud & then buy a door. (Nice to get a brand new TLC2000 for the price of a door!!....$180.00.....Thank you very much!! :lol:
Last edited by Devil505 on Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:50 pm

When I bought the Mark I the only question was whether I wanted the brass trim/brass door or all black. It was never indicated that the door itself was an option. Who would buy a stove without a door on it? "No, I don't need the door, I already have one!". The brochure for the Mark series stoves indicates the black door as being standard and the brass door is an option. Unfortunately, the TLC brochure makes no such mention.

I find it hard to believe they showed up with a stove with no door on it!

Does it have a door for the ash pan area, or is that an "option" as well?

I say "Give 'em hell", Devil.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”