Hitzer 503EZ burning as low as possible

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Apr. 03, 2024 6:02 pm

Well maybe not as low as possible but for the last few weeks, I have been burning my Hitzers as low as I think I can burn them.

Yesterday I went 40 hours without servicing the stove and added 50# to fill the stove. That equates to 1.25 pounds per hour.

These are big stoves and my guess is that is about as slow and low as I can burn it without having draft issues.

One stove got its last fill for the season today. The other stove in the basement will run for about another week because I already have the coal in the basement and we still have cold/cooler days and nights. The coal I am using is the end of the open skids. I do not want to open a wrapped skid because the Sun and UV destroys the bags. So in a few days the stoves will be shut down and I will use my heat pumps to heat the house.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Apr. 03, 2024 6:19 pm

So how much did you use this season? How does that compare to last year?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Apr. 03, 2024 7:41 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Wed. Apr. 03, 2024 6:19 pm
So how much did you use this season? How does that compare to last year?
I don't really know. There was bagged coal outside in the sun on two separate pallets. I don't know how much. All the bags were compromised. And, to be honest I don't even know how many new skids I opened.

I know that during the cold months of the season I tended the stoves once a day and pretty much put in a bag in each stove. During the not so cold I tend every 36 hours or so. Yesterday I went 40 hours because I forgot to do it early in the morning. But the stove still only took 50 pounds to completely fill it.

If I had to guess I would say 11,000 pounds for the season. Last winter was colder and I used more coal.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Apr. 05, 2024 9:29 am

Main Level stove will burn out today.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”