Manometer on insert .

Burninbucks
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Girbraltar
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Burninbucks » Mon. Mar. 20, 2023 1:48 pm

Hey Gents . I have found so much information on here over the past 2 years.
I have a Gibraltar insert .(big boy ) . I need to add a manometer. Since I have the MPD on the stove it’s self . Where should I put the manometer? I have seen other manufacturers have a hole pre drilled near the ash door . Should I drill a hole near the ash door ? Or somewhere else ? Thanks for any help .

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Mon. Mar. 20, 2023 10:25 pm

Use a 3-4’ piece of brake line to get you outside the fireplace itself, it should be in the pipe after the mpd .

Burninbucks
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Girbraltar

Post by Burninbucks » Tue. Mar. 21, 2023 10:02 am

After the MPD ? In doing my research I have found that the line for the manometer goes in the pipe between the stove and the MPD . But my set up is an insert. So my MPD is at the top of the firebox, not in the pipe itself. So you are saying I can put it after the damper, in the pipe? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Mar. 21, 2023 1:57 pm

You should get a reading on what pressure the fire box is feeling. Since your MPD is at the breech of the stove, you'll need to tap the fire box. Under the grates might be even more informative since you'll notice if it's becoming ash bound by seeing the change in pressure.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”