Best Method to Mix Nut and Stove Coal

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
jimbo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire Chief 700
Coal Size/Type: Stove or nut
Stove/Furnace Make: fire chief
Stove/Furnace Model: fc700

Post Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I have 2 tons of stove and 1 ton of nut. What is the best way to mix the 2 sizes?
Is it best to put stove coal in the fire box first and load nut on top of it?
Or is it better to blend the 2 sizes before they go into the stove?
I am going to burn mainly stove based on my furnace being designed a lot like the claytons and reading the topic about burning coal in a clayton.
It is going to be in the 40's tonight ( it is 51 outside now) so I started a coal fire to test burn the furnace with kimmels stove coal. I loaded the kimmels (1bag) on the bottom and (1/2 bag) Blaschak nut on top.
Any advice would be great.
INTERESTS :Working on dirt track modifed race car. Hunting, fishing,wood working,metal fab,welding,hobby farming.Repairing plastic injection molding machines. Kind of jack of all trades.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 11:53 pm

For delivery this was called range but it would be pea and nut. We'd just load them separately over the entire length of the box.It would mix nicely as it came out of the truck.

Is this coal in bags or bulk?
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

Visit Hitzer Stoves

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post Mon. Aug. 25, 2008 11:57 pm

I'd keep the two sizes of coal separate.. You may want to experiment with just nut or just stove.. I found that just stove coal burned too fast and hot. I liked to toss several shovels of nut over the top of the stove to slow down the fire and control the heat output.

You may find that you like just stove or just nut.. every instalation and house is different..

Greg L

Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

jimbo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire Chief 700
Coal Size/Type: Stove or nut
Stove/Furnace Make: fire chief
Stove/Furnace Model: fc700

Post Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 6:33 am

coal is in bags.
I just went down and checked on furnace it was still burning and it is a nice and warm in here temp outside was 42 and 71 inside.
I think I will try to burn nut next time we need some heat and see how just straight nut does.
INTERESTS :Working on dirt track modifed race car. Hunting, fishing,wood working,metal fab,welding,hobby farming.Repairing plastic injection molding machines. Kind of jack of all trades.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”