Hitzer 354 or 983

Heirloom farmer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Nordic, Erik coal wood stove
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Electric heat pump

Post by Heirloom farmer » Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 9:49 am

I'm replacing my 40-year-plus-old hand-fed stove after the heating season is over and have been watching for a Hitzer 354 double door to pop up for sale.
I've been helping my neighbor since before Christmas after he had knee rsurgery, and he heats his whole house 2200 hundred feet with a
Hitzer 354.
Right now the stove has been burning without being touched for over 76 hours, besides a minor shaking early Sunday morning. I swear I believe this stove would idle on low for a week.

I've really had my mind set to try and find a good used 354 like his, but for the price, I can get the 983; that's hard to pass on.
I guess im worried were the 983 isn't an actual freestanding stove like the 354; it'll not heat my house the way the 354 would. My old stove I have now can actually be used as an insert or, like I have it set up with the pedestal kit, and it heats my 2000 square feet home fine. Its firebox is like 16×18 compared to what I've read, 20×20 for the 983. The 983 fireboxes are also bigger than the 354.
I usually burn around three tons of coal -two ns of a very high-quality bituminous coal and one ton of anthracite. The anthracite I get comes from my sister and brother-in-law. They live in Sullivan co, Pa. They come in for Christmas every year and bring me 50 40lb sacks for a Christmas present. I get coal for Christmas !!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 4:39 pm

Both those stoves are rated for 100K BTU, likely both would do the job for 2K sq ft home.

I have a 2400 sq ft and heat it with the 80K BTU 503 fireplace insert.

The 983 is the other fireplace insert. I did consider this one or another similar model when I decided upon the 503. The winning factor being the hopper. The 503 likely needs more attention during the coldest days but it has heated to home 99% of time (extra extra cold days limit the inside air to 70-72F where I normally like it 72-74F..so occasionally if I don't service frequently, every 3-4 hrs during coldest days, the lowering of the fire due to refilling 1/2 of the coal v. 1/4 of the firebox's coal volume it can lower the temp 2F).

The 354 is likely a better efficient stove - a non-fireplace insert.

The insert does not take up floor space, a positive. The insert does not have a shaking handle that is attached to the stove and the removable handle needs replacement from wear about every 3-4 seasons as well as the grates due to handle wear. (and shaker related parts needs over time is unknown to me for the non-insert as far as first hand experience)

The non-insert would have easier maintenance/repair if needed (thinking of the exhaust piping mostly-my 503 has had same flexible SS pipe since install 12 yrs ago). And shaking likely does not require a kneel down. Its not an issue for me but some people might be an issue.

Cost of install ? 983 might be more $$ . Maybe not.

If the floor space needed for the non-insert was not a concern or you use the fireplace for other uses, the 354 is what I would choose. In my house, the floor space was why I considered inserts.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 8:31 pm

Heirloom farmer wrote:
Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 9:49 am
I'm replacing my 40-year-plus-old hand-fed stove after the heating season is over and have been watching for a Hitzer 354 double door to pop up for sale.
I've been helping my neighbor since before Christmas after he had knee rsurgery, and he heats his whole house 2200 hundred feet with a
Hitzer 354.
Right now the stove has been burning without being touched for over 76 hours, besides a minor shaking early Sunday morning. I swear I believe this stove would idle on low for a week.

I've really had my mind set to try and find a good used 354 like his, but for the price, I can get the 983; that's hard to pass on.
I guess im worried were the 983 isn't an actual freestanding stove like the 354; it'll not heat my house the way the 354 would. My old stove I have now can actually be used as an insert or, like I have it set up with the pedestal kit, and it heats my 2000 square feet home fine. Its firebox is like 16×18 compared to what I've read, 20×20 for the 983. The 983 fireboxes are also bigger than the 354.
I usually burn around three tons of coal -two ns of a very high-quality bituminous coal and one ton of anthracite. The anthracite I get comes from my sister and brother-in-law. They live in Sullivan co, Pa. They come in for Christmas every year and bring me 50 40lb sacks for a Christmas present. I get coal for Christmas !!
That's one way to get your coal. I guess it pays not to be good :lol:

I'm not familiar with the 983. But the 354 sounds like a real work horse.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Mar. 07, 2023 10:25 pm

The 983 can be used as in insert or freestanding when ordered with legs. As far as I know, the 983, as well as the 354, are both still available with double doors with air spinners.

In fact, I picked up a ton of coal at Hitzer back in the fall and seen a brand new 354 like mine with double doors, vent d ash pan door and two ash lips … for ash door and loading doors.

A 354 burning anthracite for 76 hours heating 2200 sq ft is no slouch.

I assume that is loading once over that time period…a full load 110-120lbs of coal stacked higher than the brick retainer and shaken at least once daily over that 76 hours until time to reload?

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Fri. Mar. 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Just keep an eye on marketplace, we picked ours up (double door) for $400 in JUly.
There was another one in Corning for $200 in the fall

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Mar. 10, 2023 8:13 pm

Can’t go wrong with Hitzer products. I have the 983 it’s a heating beast. Like Hoytman said you can get legs to make it free standing. I use mine as a insert and couldn’t be happier with the heat output, long burn times, and coal consumption. Well built tank!

gumptruck

Post by gumptruck » Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 4:09 pm

Todd how much coal u use a day

Toddburn

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 9:19 pm

gumptruck wrote:
Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 4:09 pm
Todd how much coal u use a day
2 pails in the cold weather and 1 to 1 1/2 in the warmer weather. I use nut coal with one feed scoop of pea coal mixed in per pail.

gumptruck

Post by gumptruck » Tue. Oct. 24, 2023 12:08 pm

Todd how do u move heat around to all parts of your home. how big is home

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 24, 2023 4:31 pm

What size pail and what size scoop?

Toddburn

Post by Toddburn » Tue. Oct. 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Gump my house is around 1600sq ft split level ranch the stove is in the basement. My staircase is wide open with no walls around it. The heat rises real well. I do keep the ceiling fans on low to keep air moving. Even in the rooms far away it’s still warm. Hoytman regular size coal pails and a 4 qt feed scoop.

Heirloom farmer

Post by Heirloom farmer » Tue. Feb. 13, 2024 8:34 pm

I started this thread almost a year ago and left to work out of state on a right-away clearing job the next day, causing me to forget about the thread.
I needed the money badly for work around the old farm, but because I was gone all year, I didn't get to replace my old stove.
Now im home, having to use my dreaded heat pump.
I had hoped to get a Hitzer 354 or the 983 freestanding attachment with double doors because of the spinners for burning bituminous and a little seasoned hardwood.
After returning home, my neighbor informed me he was, for the first time, having trouble burning coal in his 983.
The old guy we have bought coal from for the last twenty years or longer has
had to switch coal suppliers the previous year, my neighbor said, and it is different burning coal, he says.
I still have my old stove in the barn, so I figured I would try it out for myself. It actually burned pretty darn good after I supplied more overfire air to help burn off the volatiles.
I think the reason he is having trouble burning is he can't supply enough air with the 983 to help with the burn-off phase like my older one does, which is causing more smoke and soot. If I open the sliders all the way, there are twelve little holes on each door, whereas his 983 only has a couple on each door.
I think it was forum member Hoytman I was reading who showed the difference between his hitzer spinners and the older stoves.
Now im starting to lean towards an older, like an 80s stove, cause I don't think we're going to be able to find high-quality coal like we are use to-14,000 plusBtu 4%ash.72sulphur as there's hardly any mining happening here in eastern Ky, which is sure sad to see.
They are a couple old stoves on marketplace I've been watching with one being a Brunco which looks a lot like my old stove. I've read on this forum that the brunco doesn't have any primary air, but the guy sent me a picture of what seems to look to be primary air in the ash door. I'll see if I can figure how to post the picture so that maybe you guys can tell if that's the case. I sure hope it is cause I defentily like the look of the brunco. He didn't know the model, but I believe it's the hearth glow.
If the Brunco doesn't work out, they're a nice old 80s Kodiak that's even closer to me.

Attachments

Screenshot_20240212-185527.png
.PNG | 1.2MB | Screenshot_20240212-185527.png
Screenshot_20240211-162815.png
.PNG | 2.1MB | Screenshot_20240211-162815.png

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 14, 2024 1:02 pm

The difference in spinner intakes I showed pictures of was my Hitzer 354 and an old 1980’s Fisher wood stove, just to be clear.

I was showing that the Fisher air intakes, the slots behind the spinner knobs ate bigger than the 3 small holes behind each spinner of my 354. The 354 air intakes do NOT provide enough air for a hot clean wood fire even when both spinners are full open. However, there is room to add one hole behind each spinner knob as well as room to drill out the existing holes. I just haven’t done it yet. Even doing those modifications I’m still not convinced there will still be enough air supplied to a wood fire because even with the modifications the holes still won’t be as big as the slots in the Fisher air intakes.

There’s a caveat though…the above is with my stove…a stove that has a solid ash pan door AND I was not trying to use the rear air intake either…even when I did use the rear air intake the bi-metal thermostat would close too early choking the fire even turned up.

So with a newer model 354, one with double doors and a vented ash pan door, a newer model may burn wood better than my older 354.

Heirloom farmer

Post by Heirloom farmer » Wed. Feb. 14, 2024 9:00 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. Feb. 14, 2024 1:02 pm
The difference in spinner intakes I showed pictures of was my Hitzer 354 and an old 1980’s Fisher wood stove, just to be clear.

I was showing that the Fisher air intakes, the slots behind the spinner knobs ate bigger than the 3 small holes behind each spinner of my 354. The 354 air intakes do NOT provide enough air for a hot clean wood fire even when both spinners are full open. However, there is room to add one hole behind each spinner knob as well as room to drill out the existing holes. I just haven’t done it yet. Even doing those modifications I’m still not convinced there will still be enough air supplied to a wood fire because even with the modifications the holes still won’t be as big as the slots in the Fisher air intakes.

There’s a caveat though…the above is with my stove…a stove that has a solid ash pan door AND I was not trying to use the rear air intake either…even when I did use the rear air intake the bi-metal thermostat would close too early choking the fire even turned up.

So with a newer model 354, one with double doors and a vented ash pan door, a newer model may burn wood better than my older 354.
My neighbors 983 has the double door and it's only 4 year old. It's exactly like the one you where showing. I sure wish they would have improved upon that cause his 983 is a heating beast and I live it besides the spinners

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 14, 2024 10:12 pm

The 983 can still be ordered with double doors and with legs to make it a free standing stove. However, in my opinion I would not order a 983 to be a freestanding stove without first contacting Dean at Hitzer to find out other specifics about ordering it that way. I am not aware of any other changes to the stove to make it freestanding other than the doors and legs. If that’s the case, then it won’t give off as much radiant heat as the 354 AND you’re going to have to listen to the blowers more….I’m saying a choice is removed because the stove is designed to be used with the blowers running all the time. I wouldn’t want to listen to that because the fans are louder than the fan on my 354.

I’m not saying the stove can’t be used without the blowers. I’m saying it’s designed to be used with the blowers, hence the outer shell around the firebox that other Hitzer freestanding stoves does not have.

Also, unlike the 354, the ash door has to be open on the 983 in order to shake the stove down. This could mean more dust in the house depending on a few factors.

I’m well aware of how good a unit the 983 is. I just happen to think a 354 double door is the better option of the two given you’re wanting a freestanding unit with double doors.

I love the looks of the double doors best. However, from a practical use standpoint, if I ever ordered a new 354/983 I’d probably order a single door model. One door is easier to control when tending and no chance of a single door swinging open when you only intended for one door to be open at a time…because only the right side door locks in place. If the hinges are lubed properly to prevent hinge pin wear a door can swing open by itself when one side is opened. When running low and slow and while tending you only have some many hands and if a door swings open unintentionally then that allows coal gases and dust into the room. Ask me how I know. LOL!

Just some things to consider.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”