King Oak 19B never used, should I use it?

WIburnerPaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King Oak 19B
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 6:05 am

I bought for $250, never used; all complete. I’ve watched many videos about potbelly/cannon stoves and read many posts. Been heating with wood since the 90’s and want to try Anthracite Nut, in a non-electric stove; in my basement. Heat with a pellet stove on the first floor of a 1400 sq ft two story. If I use a BD above a MDD, that should give sufficient control of the draft; of my 32’ chimney with a 8” 316 SS liner. Intend to have an Olympia 6” all fuel, forever warranty liner installed soon. Use?

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 10:56 am

Why not? What exactly are you asking? Worried about offending someone? You do what ever works for you man. Do your research, be safe, get warm .

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 12:08 pm

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 6:05 am
I bought for $250, never used; all complete. I’ve watched many videos about potbelly/cannon stoves and read many posts. Been heating with wood since the 90’s and want to try Anthracite Nut, in a non-electric stove; in my basement. Heat with a pellet stove on the first floor of a 1400 sq ft two story. If I use a BD above a MDD, that should give sufficient control of the draft; of my 32’ chimney with a 8” 316 SS liner. Intend to have an Olympia 6” all fuel, forever warranty liner installed soon. Use?
welcome Paul , if you are asking about position of barometric damper and mpd , yes mpd always between stove and baro , as long as the stove joints are fairly tight this will be a decent heat source , get it on a hearth so it’s easier to tend , get a manometer and post some more photos

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 12:12 pm

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 6:05 am
I would leave the 8” liner unless it rotted ( you have absolutely no benefit of going to 6” the entire run coal exhaust doesn’t require velocity like wood smoke does)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Do you have a mason chimney????????????????? Would make things easier for answering your questions. You'll love the simplicity of coal burning--ya might even consider losing the pellet stove for another coal stove--time will tell!!!!! :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 1:31 pm

K, no need for both MPD &BARO--they did not even have BARO's back when--put in an MPD & light the old girl off!!! That forever 6" sounds like a good plan---do you have a mason chimney--if it's in decent shape forget any type of liner???? with the 8" thimble through the wall regular black pipe from stove to thimble just pack perimeter with regular old insulation & add ac beauty ring for looks. Kinda double post--yep, I'm old & kinda cyber dumb--- BUT, I keep tryin!!! :lol:

quote=ShawnLiNy post_id=819389 time=1677604082 user_id=28018]
welcome Paul , if you are asking about position of barometric damper and mpd , yes mpd always between stove and baro , as long as the stove joints are fairly tight this will be a decent heat source , get it on a hearth so it’s easier to tend , get a manometer and post some more photos
[/quote]

WIburnerPaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King Oak 19B
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 11:55 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Do you have a mason chimney????????????????? Would make things easier for answering your questions. You'll love the simplicity of coal burning--ya might even consider losing the pellet stove for another coal stove--time will tell!!!!! :)
My chimney is straight up brick made with no liner. Added a 32’ 8” stainless steel liner (SS # unknown). Surrounded with vermiculite. Installed 8” because I had a Juca wood stove that had 8” flue flange.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 2:18 pm

We need some pix of the whole set up or we're just guessin. It's not that complicated.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:16 pm

WIburnerPaul wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 11:55 am
My chimney is straight up brick made with no liner. Added a 32’ 8” stainless steel liner (SS # unknown). Surrounded with vermiculite. Installed 8” because I had a Juca wood stove that had 8” flue flange.
If the 8” is intact keep it

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:28 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:16 pm
If the 8” is intact keep it
The way I understood his post, he had 8" and was going to run a six inch through it. Expensive, but seeing as the coal may eventually eat it up, maybe not a bad preventative measure? I don't know how to feel about it.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:39 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:28 pm
The way I understood his post, he had 8" and was going to run a six inch through it. Expensive, but seeing as the coal may eventually eat it up, maybe not a bad preventative measure? I don't know how to feel about it.
that’s the way I understand it , no point in reducing it , it’s 316 the only rotted out liner I’ve seen was some aluminized crap , maybe high sulphur bituminous causes the issues with stainless

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:46 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 4:39 pm
that’s the way I understand it , no point in reducing it , it’s 316 the only rotted out liner I’ve seen was some aluminized crap , maybe high sulphur bituminous causes the issues with stainless
I don't know TBH. I've read here where guys have had liners fail in a few years and some that are still going. OP doesn't need it for sure, would the added 6" be good insurance? Maybe. Maybe not worth the expense. Maybe question should be based on usage. Will stove be used as a full time main heat supply? Or moderately run for supplemental heat?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 5:24 pm

I got SS flexible liner installed 15 yrs ago..still fine. I scope it every season's end

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 5:37 pm

I got the cheapest ( Home Depot grade ) duravent class A fully expecting to have to replace it in 5-6 as I’d read that coal completely destroys it , 14 years and not even pitted yet

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 7:17 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 5:37 pm
I got the cheapest ( Home Depot grade ) duravent class A fully expecting to have to replace it in 5-6 as I’d read that coal completely destroys it , 14 years and not even pitted yet
Just coal, or did you do like others mentioned about burning wood and getting some creosote in it first?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”