King Oak 19B never used, should I use it?

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 8:36 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 7:17 pm
Just coal, or did you do like others mentioned about burning wood and getting some creosote in it first?
I don’t think I burned enough wood to make a significant difference, ( I’m pretty sure you need high sulfur and repeated high humidity/condensation to start to etch it)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 9:17 pm

Small low fire the first time and let it go out. That'll cure the cast iron some.

Its really hit and miss with stainless liners but for sure I'd burn wood for a while first to get a good coating in whatever chimney you set it up with. Dont do clean burns, make some smoke to coat the chimney. im not talking about an inch of creosote, just a coating. others have used various oils and voodoo witchcraft to save on the steel. ;) Plenty to read about on the forum with that issue.

Keep a pail of sand or ash to throw on the fire while learning your stove in case you need to put it out for whatever reason.

WIburnerPaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King Oak 19B
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Harman Absolute43 wood pellet. Lamppa Kuuma Vapor-Fire 200 gasification wood furnace.

Post by WIburnerPaul » Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 9:46 pm

ShawnLiNy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 02, 2023 5:37 pm
I got the cheapest ( Home Depot grade ) duravent class A fully expecting to have to replace it in 5-6 as I’d read that coal completely destroys it , 14 years and not even pitted yet
I spoke to Dura Vent today. I asked what SS # was in their double wall elbows and straight pipe and if okay to burn coal. They said yes coal can be burned, it’s 430 SS and has a 5 year warranty.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 9:21 am

Use the search function on this thread.

Some have had stainless steel liners last, some haven’t.

Plenty of pictures to support both.

Plenty of people had stainless steel rot out in less than 5 years…and I mean totally rotted. Some, it didn’t matter if it was cleaned or not.

Many other companies, like Rockford Chimney supply, recommend 316Ti, as it is rated for coal and has a high temperature rating…although coal doesn’t necessarily run at such high temperature exhaust unless someone forgets and leaves a lower vent open too much. From what I’ve read here the 316Ti has a better corrosion resistance than regular 316 or 304.

One member here, since coal stoves run at such low temperatures, decided to go a different route and opted for the liner that doesn’t have the highest heat rating, but does have the highest corrosion resistance, AL 29-4C, and he swears by it. It is expensive though. It’s also rated for gas furnaces. Can’t recall his user name but I think his name is Scott. He swears AL 29-4C is the best stainless liner for corrosion resistance, and I tend to think he’s on to something since experiencing my own low temperature exhaust from my coal stove. It has run nowhere near the exhaust temperatures of wood with the same stove, not even close…the wood has way hotter exhaust than the coal.

Freetown Fred knows who I’m referring asking about. Scott burns an old antique or two. Help me out, Fred!
Last edited by Hoytman on Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 11:20 am

Nah!!!! :) I'm thinkin the OP has his mind set on what he's gonna do. Long as he's safe--we're good!!!! :)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 2:47 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 11:20 am
Nah!!!! :) I'm thinkin the OP has his mind set on what he's gonna do. Long as he's safe--we're good!!!! :)
Agreed!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Mar. 03, 2023 3:08 pm

I did a quick search in case anyone is interested in the information I posted above and which forum member I was referring to.
scalabro wrote:
Mon. Feb. 03, 2014 11:08 am
I chose AL29-4c because of its superior corrosion resistance over 316 stainless at typical anthracite coal flue temps.

Some say it is not structurally as good at higher flue temps, ie +600F, but since my flue temps never approach that, I figure I'm good.
Some threads scalabro posted on that might interest some.
search.php?keywords=AL29-4C&terms=all&author=scal ... mit=Search

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 05, 2023 11:30 am

Thanx Hoyt For Filling In The Gaps On That Source..!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 05, 2023 12:11 pm

Yep, haven't heard squat from Scott (hmmmm, that rhymed) :lol: in quite a while!!! Nov. 22, Hope he is well.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”