Warm Morning 500 burning wood?

jviers6755
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 500

Post by jviers6755 » Sat. Feb. 11, 2023 3:32 pm

So I’ve acquired a Warm Morning 500 for a steal. I know these stoves are designed for coal and do a wonderful job if coal is used. We had a similar one years ago in my childhood.

On to my original inquiry. I’m wanting to use this stove as a wood burning stove( for now anyways until I can go get a load of coal) Does anyone have any do this or don’t do that advice for running wood?

I know this stove won’t be as effective and efficient in doing such. I have a supply of wood which would make it much more convenient as of now. It’s going in my detached garage/workshop.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Feb. 12, 2023 10:26 pm

It's difficult to load due to the door size and the stove shape. You have to be gentle and not damage the corner flue bricks when loading. Other then that I had a WM 617 and it burned wood great. Basically the same thing you have minus the shroud. It needs to be sealed good. If the stove cement around the top casting, door frame, and ash door frame is in bad shape it should probably be replaced or at least gone over. I used a manual pipe damper with mine. High winds here.

jviers6755

Post by jviers6755 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 2:45 pm

Everything you’ve just described is what I was thinking. I’ve been burning in it since I posted. Which brings me to my next question about how the door is supposed to seal. When the winds pick up it’s wanting to smoke ip the garage. You can see plain as day where it’s coming out over the door. Is there anything I can do to help that?

As far as the wood goes I actually lucked out. A local sawmill has piles of cutoffs they’ll give away if you load and haul. The cuts are the ends of the logs and are sometimes only 4-10” once I bust them into smaller chunks it’s fitting into the stove perfectly.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Can you show a.pic of the door?

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Yeh that wood you're getting sound perfect. Pretty much at the mercy of the door as far as it sealing. Might possibly be able to put a bead of high temp silicone around the door frame mating surface then lay seran wrap over that and close the door. Let it dry a good long time and pull the seran wrap off. Trim to suit with a blade. That's about the only thing I can come up with. There is no provision for a gasket there.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 4:11 pm

fig wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Yeh that wood you're getting sound perfect. Pretty much at the mercy of the door as far as it sealing. Might possibly be able to put a bead of high temp silicone around the door frame mating surface then lay seran wrap over that and close the door. Let it dry a good long time and pull the seran wrap off. Trim to suit with a blade. That's about the only thing I can come up with. There is no provision for a gasket there.
Saran wrap might indicate PVC wrap or PVDC wrap...

Using any thermoplastic film I would suggest testing it with a one inch section first. Better to end up with a 1 inch gooey mess than a few feet to clean.

Perhaps some stove gasket material to the door, glued in with cement sealer. Similar to
https://rutland.com/products/e-z-spread-fiberglas ... ket-cement

Will it hold with use ? I dunno.

fig

Post by fig » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 4:18 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 4:11 pm
Saran wrap might indicate PVC wrap or PVDC wrap...

Using any thermoplastic film I would suggest testing it with a one inch section first. Better to end up with a 1 inch gooey mess than a few feet to clean.

Perhaps some stove gasket material to the door, glued in with cement sealer. Similar to
https://rutland.com/products/e-z-spread-fiberglas ... ket-cement

Will it hold with use ? I dunno.
There's no way a gasket fits there. The hinge won't allow enough gap when the door is closed or not closed as the case will be...

The method I mentioned above has been done a few times on here by other members that have had warm mornings. The one sitting in my dining room has had it done. It works plain and simple.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 4:28 pm

fig wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 4:18 pm
There's no way a gasket fits there. The hinge won't allow enough gap when the door is closed or not closed as the case will be...

The method I mentioned above has been done a few times on here by other members that have had warm mornings. The one sitting in my dining room has had it done. It works plain and simple.
One could make a hinge adapter(s) to accommodate. Something for OP to consider.

.............. Assuming Fig was referencing this post --

jviers6755

Post by jviers6755 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:19 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:15 pm
Can you show a.pic of the door?

Attachments

jviers6755

Post by jviers6755 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:22 am

fig wrote:
Sat. Feb. 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Sounds like a you’re on to something there. I’ve been scratching my head on it for a while. I’ve seen several of these stoves and never saw a seal or gasket on any of them. I know a few I’ve seen leak the same, above the door usually has some soot on it

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”